Friday, September 12, 2008

Sigh...

I was so excited earlier this week; I had registered to take a class at the Arts and Crafts center on post to learn how to weave using a loom. I submitted my fees, I noted the classes in my planner (as a joke I always say "if it isn't listed in the planner it DOESN'T happen...") And then today I got an email saying the class has been cancelled because not enough people signed up. I was the only student and they needed at least 3. I have a terrible case right now of "restless finger syndrome"--I need a new project to do that will help focus my energy and attention while everyone is gone. Most of my "stash" for making things is packed in boxes in the garage, including pattern books, magazines, needles/yarn/fabrics, and resources, and those boxes have other things piled on top of them. so finding anything is like the proverbial "needle in a haystack". I was looking to this class to satisfy a number of things at once: a way to learn something new, a way to meet some people that share my interests, and, a way to get out of the house that is more productive than spending money (shopping). I guess this time around it isn't meant to be.

Yesterday I got onto AOL yellow pages and looked up yarn and quilt shops in the area, and then mapquested their locations from where I live. IF I were to take a day to go check all of them out I would essentially be making an 80 mile round trip, going to 7 different shops, in 6 different towns (this includes the quilt shop here in Mascoutah that my husband so happily introduced me to on a prior visit here), with a driving time of 2 hours 40 minutes... That does NOT include time browsing at each location, and if I figure in about 20-30 minutes at each stop, that rounds out to around an additional 2 and a half hours, a total of around 5-5.5 hours for a day trip. And it would help me to familiarize myself with the surrounding communities! I think that is perfectly justifiable; Don't you? Spike laughed at me when I shared this logic with him, but said he had no problems with it (isn't he wonderful?!). I could do it while the kids were at school, and still be home when they got home! Maybe someday... (I am still waiting on a duplicate title from the state of MN for my van so I can get it licensed here in IL. Until that happens, my wings are essentially cut and I am left to things within walking distance until Spike gets home from work.)

The kids seem to be doing fine these days. We had had some battles/growing pains over the cats (whose was "stupider", whose was the "interloper" in various rooms) which I think translated at times into "where do I fit now into the pecking order", but currently peace reigns and things seem to be ok. Bingo is struggling with homework--as in "why do I have to do it? It's stupid!"--and we have had a few battles over that, including last night. I've learned that if I just disengage from the power struggle, but stay nearby, he eventually complies, but man, sometimes that is hard to do and I want to wring his neck... I just need to stand firm and show I mean business in the choices he's allowed, and leave the struggle with him. It generally works, and last night was no exception. But it is energy draining and I get tired of it. The oldest of our clan here has decided NOT to attend college classes this term and is just working part time (for the most part). That makes me a bit sad as she has so much potential to be successful, and I know from personal experience how much harder it is to finish school as more and more "grownup responsibilites" take precedence... We are praying hard over this one. Her significant other is also only working the occasional weekend; they together are not walking an easy road towards becoming responsible, self-supporting adults. Spike and I offer what guidance we can, but as I have learned from raising two adults so far, sometimes ya just have to let them learn via experience, and you can't protect them (or rescue them) from their decisions...

The middle two of our clan are doing fairly well at school--keeping up on homework for the most part, participating in cross country, enjoying friends. It's been fun helping proofread some of their writing assignments, and they have been great with helping Bingo when he gets stuck at times. I admit one of the advantages I have seen to being home with the kids is that I am better able to keep up on Bingo's assignments and homework situation--something he is generally NOT appreciating. He threw at me last night that I "never used to care" if he had things done or not--I reminded him I have ALWAYS cared; I just wasn't around to enforce it as I would have liked and I needed to take his word he had done what he was told... GRRRrrrrr! It's so nice to see the kids getting along at the moment, even though I'm not holding my breath on whether it'll last; I know that it's only been a little over a month we've been here and things are still in flux.

Spike started classes this week: a wednesday evening class, a saturday class, and an online class. He was pleased to find out that a number of his military classes translated into course credit for his degree program, which knocks at least a term, if not two, off what he needs to take. And he officially got straight A's for last term. He is also finishing up his second week of orientation at his job; these last few days have been a nice change of pace for him from reading their orientation materials: baton practice, shooting at the gun range, CPR/first aid training. The poor guy is tired when he gets home from work (remember he also has a 45-60 minute commute each way too), so I have tried to be "susie homemaker" and have meals ready etc. for him. He is working so hard, deserves a little spoiling!

I haven't heard a thing on anything I have applied for, but I figure that's pretty standard and I'm not too worried. I'll find something eventually, and I will keep looking too. But that brings me full circle to the disappointment over my class being cancelled: I really need something fun to do to help me pass the time and stimulate my brain. Dishes, laundry, and housework just aren't cutting it right now, and the few projects I do have going aren't fitting the bill either... Sigh.....

No comments: