After much contemplation, I decided to try to clean these items, using the washing machine and dryer, as the last time I tried cleaning yarn skeins and a wip (work in progress) in the bathtub, the result was less than satisfying (it was hard to get the water all out and drip drying wasn't very expedient). I put the 5 skeins of yarn, sans paper wrappers (which needed to be disposed of) into a pillow case and pinned it shut. I then took the afghan and the 2 remaining skeins of yarn needed to finish it and placed those in a second pillow case, and again pinned it shut (the afghan was on a large circular needle, with wooden tips). I washed these items, along with their bags, in the delicate cycle of the washer (as had been suggested on a bulletin board I frequent). Then, I ran them through an additional rinse cycle, and tossed all the bags (except the plastic one) in the dryer, with a dryer sheet and those two rubber dryer balls, and let the dryer do it's thing. A second cycle in the dryer was deemed necessary as the pillow cases were still damp, but the blue bag came out great (/smile).
I took the pillow cases up to my bed and courageously opened them. The afghan was still damp, as were the two skeins of yarn, but neither seemed too worse for the wear. I placed the two skeins in the window to finish air drying and draped the afghan cape-style below it, where the lovely fall breezes can finish the job. The 5 skeins of acrylic yarn, however, were another story. They were tangled beyond belief into and around each other. As I just explained to Eric, it will take a marathon viewing of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, watched back to back, to get them all seperated into their respective units... It will be a job of epic proportion! Needless to say, until I have the time and energy to face this prospect they are currently back in their zippered plastic bag, now zipped, and stowed where the cat(s) cannot reach them.... And I have decided I have had enough yarn fun and will return to cross stitching for the remainder of the evening.
I have part 1 of 12 almost completed on my latest "take along project" called "How Does Your Garden Grow?" I was not happy with the pale green I had chosen for the leaves/foliage, so I decided to make a quick run to Hobby Lobby (shhhhh--don't tell my bosses) to get the "Light Effects" DMC floss I wanted for it (along with some floss the color of my fabric to put the beads on with). I was surprised they charged me only 75 cents for the flosses, given the specialty floss I wanted had a sticker that said $1.29 on it, but perhaps there was a sale I was unaware of. I had put in leaves on half of it, but they looked too bright to me, and I am much happier with the new floss, despite having to "frog" (rip out) the old stitches. I am really enjoying this project and it is fast paced, in part because of the specialty stitches in it. I will post pictures when I get part one done.
I took Brie with me to run my errand today and we had a nice outing--got milkshakes at Steak 'n Shake--although we didn't do too much chatting. My voice is still shot and it gets tiresome to talk. Eric had class today and he bowls tonight, but I think I am gonna bow out of going to the bowling alley. Too noisy for me to try to talk over with very little voice, and I am really liking having some down time today to just take things slow and easy. Tomorrow is soon enough to start pushing things I think. I am finally feeling human again and don't want to go backwards!
Anyhow, that is the scoop for today! Thanks for listening to me complain!