Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Musings...

It's a quiet Sunday around here. We have gorgeous weather today (unlike what we had most of last week, and in direct contrast to MN's sleet and snow)--a high predicted of 68 and sunshine! I am really enjoying today and plan to get outside again shortly after posting this update...

Eric is working today, and the kids were up late last night, so I went to church by myself. I swear they are gonna think I am nothing but an emotional wreck there: I usually take the time after communion to offer my prayers, cares, and thanks to the Lord, and since moving down here, I often find myself being "emotional". I don't set out to cry, but the tears flow of their own accord. Today was no exception. I was offering up prayers for the comfort and well-being of both Jenna's mom, who is dealing with end-stage liver cancer, and for Rollie's mom, who is dealing with lymphoma, as well as for their families, and I was praying for Reimond and his scheduled cardiac evaluation coming up in 2 weeks, when they began playing a hymn that my father used to play on the piano and we would sing together (when I was young we often had imprompteau hymn sings around the piano with either my mom or dad playing). Of course the anniversary of my dad's death is coming up too, and I have been missing him dreadfully, so it all combined in my soul and the tears once again flowed down my cheeks of their own volition... I feel so dumb when I get emotional out of the blue, and I have been so good up until now--no tears of worry over Reimond, no perseveration on my fears... But it all came to a head today and if I am honest, it felt good to let it go in prayer. I also talked at length with our wonderful assistant Pastor, Jan, and she is such a blessing. She was just who I needed to talk to in that moment after the service: a shoulder to lean on and a willing, caring ear to bend. She reminds me of a couple of girlfriends I have that I trust implicitly, and it was a comfort to share these things with her. I am so glad I went to church today, even if it was by myself!

Aurora had a busy day yesterday: she ran in the sectionals for cross country (Patrick was there, and eligible to run finally, but the coach benched him anyway--apparently felt it wouldn't be fair for Patrick to run this when he has missed so many other meets). Then, she came home, showered, and had to head back to the school for a marching band competition... She got home just after 11:30 last night, and was exhausted but happy: her school took third place overall, and had (if I'm remembering correctly) two thirds and a second place in the various categories they were judged on. They had a decent day for it--neither too hot nor too cold, and slightly breezy.

Today is Cliff's 19th birthday. He, Brianne, and Reimond are off to meet up with some friends of his in Lebanon for a birthday party that got planned in his honor. I told him to enjoy--this is his last year as a teenager! This makes the 10th and final birthday I need to keep track of in the month of October... Hallmark must absolutely love me! Which reminds me--I have Halloween cards to get addressed and mailed out before Friday...

Here are some pictures to share of random things from this past week:


Okay, so this one is over a month old: it's Batman sleeping on his back. The irony of this pose is that Eric was sleeping in almost the exact same position on the opposite end of the bed at the same time (he was cat-napping too)!























This is a full arched rainbow that appeared in the east just outside of our front door on Friday! It was absolutely stunning, and I have rarely seen one that completely arches from end to end... It was huge and very beautiful! These pictures truthfully don't do it justice, but I wanted to share them anyway. A nice reminder of God's promises, and one I sometimes need to be given. Friday had been a cool to the point of being cold, bleak rainy day, so the rainbow came as a total surprise--"out of the blue" as the saying goes!
















This is a sweater I knit for our "Lil Miss" Alexis. I used a pattern I found online from an online knitting magazine called "The Knitty". The pattern design is called "Helena" and I am so thrilled with how it turned out--looks just like the picture from online! I made a size 2 and my hope is that it will be a little large on her so she gets some wear out of it. Now to decide if a). I am going to knit a hat to go with it out of all the left over yarn; b). if I am going to just mail it as is for her to wear now; or c). if I am gonna hold onto it til I get the one made I want to do for Justin and then mail them both at once (maybe for Christmas?)...

This last photo is one of our "oh so mature" birthday boy, just because it made me laugh when I saw it... One of the kids (Aurora?) was playing with my camera I see...

That's all that comes to mind right now, so I guess I will head outside and enjoy the beautiful afternoon (at least what's left of it), as tomorrow the cold returns with a projected high of a balmy 48 degrees (heeheehee)... So much for teasing, eh?

No comments: