Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy valentines day!

What a crazy, busy time period it's been since I last wrote. Reimond got hit by a car in the school parking lot while on his bike: he was riding along side another student and went to pass him when the student made a left turn without using a signal and they collided. Rei went up onto the hood of the car,catching his right calf between the seat and the car, then rolled to the ground when the car stopped. The kids were both so shocked they talked to each other but didn't exchange any info, shook hands, and went their separate ways. I took Rei to the emergency room just to get his calf checked out because it was so sore. Was just badly bruised, and he is fine; had a few muscle aches the next day that he didn't realize he had pulled in the fall, but he's tough and we are grateful it was no worse.

Then, my mom had an appointment with the cardiology electro physiologist the next day and they said she was, and probably had been in, atrial fibrillation for quite a while. Her ankles had swollen up to the size of her thighs and she was uncomfortable, and they said that with the irregularity of her heartbeats her blood was not circulating properly and she was at risk for blood clots. They had put her on blood thinners, but he didn't want to wait until she had been on them a full 30 days (the time it takes to dissolve any clots if any have formed) because of the risk of tiring out her heart, and yesterday she had a trans-esophageal eccochardiogram to check for the presence of clots in her heart, then had a "cardio version" done, where they shocked her heart back into a normal sinus rhythm. After the procedures, which she did well in (no clots in the heart), her blood pressure was the lowest it's been in years, and other than feeling sore and nauseous from the meds and procedures, she was cleared to go home. Kristi stayed with her until Erik and Joel got home, and when I talked to her last night she sounded good.

I honestly had a really hard time with all of it and being so far away. It was good I was babysitting Skye because she kept me grounded and focused, but until I talked to my sister and knew things were ok, I was anxious. Too many memories of what we went through with dad to take anything for granted. Even Liisa couldn't fall asleep until she knew Gram was ok (she works overnights and really needed to be in bed...). I am so thankful for all the prayers and good thoughts people shared on our behalf. God is gracious and while my mom is at peace with whatever is to be, the rest of us are not quite ready to let her go yet.

I saw the eye surgeon myself on Tuesday and am now scheduled for LASIK surgery on my right eye on March 21st. The astigmatism has remained stable, although I did take a step backwards in the dryness of my corneas and they changed the eye drops I use to previous brand that had worked well for me. Corneal dryness can affect the clarity of my vision, so I need to use (and have been doing so) lubricating eye drops to counteract that. The doctor feels that the surgery will correct the remaining issues I am having with blurriness and Eric and I trust his judgment, so we are good to go.

Skye and her "baby Susie" have joined me on my bed and she wants to "play her monsters" so I will close for now. She can be very insistent on what she wants!

No comments: