Saturday, August 16, 2014

I apologize for my hiatus!

Life has been busy around here! Brie and Skye have moved back home, Brie just finished out her two week notice at the bank, commuting each way for the last week and a half, and I am in the final weeks of intensive training for my job. The photo is of a quick cuddle before I headed off to work, which Skye isn't sure she likes very much (she liked me home with her), although her time with papa, aunt Aurora, uncle Rei, and occasionally Patrick has been "okay". Brie is looking to enroll her in a local preschool/daycare so we have coverage when she is at her month long guard training in September, and then the focus will be on transportation for me, because I am turning in the rental at the end of my training days.

Rei made the deans list for his spring semester, and has a 3.5 gpa for his first year of college, and he got another A for his painting class this summer. I was very amused by a story he shared last night: when babysitting Skye this week, he, some friends, and Skye were drawing with calk on the sidewalk. His friend was so proud of a drawing he did of a dragon for Skye, until he looked at the human face Rei had drawn nearby... He said " dang it Rei! I was feeling really good about my drawing, but there you are making art!" It was a really nice, detailed face (unfortunately it rained before I could get out there to take a picture). Aurora has worked really hard this summer and has been putting money away for a trip with school, and Patrick has been working too.

The month of June, besides being filled with my new job, was a month for family. Alex came to visit, along with his parents, and it was wonderful spending time with them. Photos were taken and stories were shared. It was a healing, loving visit, and we are so blessed having them in our lives.

Training has been very challenging for me, and I have been told I am doing very well in it, that I have the  necessary skills, experience, and personality for it, and I am finding it to be interesting, eye-opening, and satisfying. I have seen my first heroin addicted newborns, dealt with a shaken baby case, and seen a number of neglect cases. I have sat in on forensic interviews for child sexual abuse, and have been to court a number of times, all parts of my shadowing experiences. I like the fast pace of it, and while I have been a bit bored during office time when nothing is going on, I know that will change when I get my own case load come September.

I am sure many of you have heard of Michael Brown and Ferguson MO... That is a suburb of St. Louis, and is considered county rather than city, but it is just across I-70 from St. Louis, and I have co-workers who live and work in that community (one of our county offices is up there). Obviously feelings and tensions are running high, especially in the populations we serve, and it's effects are being felt all over St. Louis. Safety is a primary concern for all of us, and while opinions vary regarding the facts of the case, the media spin, and outside interventions (e.g. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, even the president's comments), all hope this will be sorted out and things will calm soon. To me, and in my opinion only, good kids can make stupid choices which end in tragic consequences, cops are human too, and when provoked may overreact as well, and the truth of the matter lies somewhere in the middle of all of these points of view and opinions.  Thankfully trial by public opinion is NOT the law of the land.

The bottom line is that in getting used to my new schedule (my alarm goes off at 5:15 and I am generally on the road between 6:30 and 7, depending on my destination), dealing with traffic headaches and construction, and then long days of training in state and local policies, I get home at the end of the day and am wiped out! I have been going to bed between 8:30 and 9:30 each night (of late with Skye, who may or may not cooperate), and I am out! The state of MO is very particular about Internet use at work due to the privacy laws, so I have limited access to things like my blog, personal emails, and the like during work hours, and although I check them and Facebook during my off time, sometimes I am too tired to do more than just read them. I have tried to do some handwork too, but it feels like everything is taking a back seat to my work life for right now while I get used to the new routine. I will try to be more faithful to the blog and updates, because I know people worry if I let it go too long. I do appreciate the emails though! 

Love you all!

No comments: