Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August doldrums!

The month of August started with a bang of activity, but as of today, hopefully will be slowing down a little bit. Our 3rd anniversary was on the 2nd, and it was a nice day.  We didn't do a lot of anything in particular, other than go out for breakfast, but it was nice to go out. 

Liisa came down on the 4th, flying in from MN early in the morning, and I took her to the train station for 5 tonight, only to find out that her flight has been delayed until 8:30 tonight (to Chicago, where she has a connecting flight she is gonna need to run to).  Poor kid is just sitting at the airport with her book and bags, waiting to go home.  We spent much of the weekend at our local park for Homecoming, enjoying the rides, concessions, and live bands. We danced, drank beer, and socialized with friends. We also ran errands, shopped on base at the BX, swam at the pool, and enjoyed being together.  It's so sad to see her go home.  I wish my kids and I were closer locale-wise.  I know we talk on the phone all the time, but it isn't the same as face to face contact.

Eric is putting in some overtime this week. He has security detail for some big-shot from the VA who is in town, and it's been a nice change for him. He has only a few more weeks of school left and his term is done. Aurora starts her cross country training next week, and the bowling practices are not too far behind. Her actual classes start the third week.  Brie will be starting classes the end of August too.  In a huge change of pace, Rei won't be starting classes this year until after Labor day, and the school year is running thru mid June of next year (normally they start the third week of August and get out mid May). He will be in the brand new school, starting his Junior year.  Classes for me won't start til October, so I am safe for a little while yet.

We are still in need of at least one more car for the family.  I am at a loss as to how we are going to manage Aurora, Brie, and Eric's schedules of work and school needs on a daily basis starting next week...  Eric can take the motorcycle, but that is strictly weather dependent. And it means my wings are effectively clipped until someone is home.  I know we will work it out and I am fine with being flexible. I really don't go many places during the day anyhow; it just means I need to be careful in how I schedule appointments and such. And we have braces to worry about too...  Haven't scheduled the start of those as yet, but that needs to happen in the near future.

Patrick just got hired at the pizza place in town as a cook, and starts next week.  He had (in his words) the worst birthday ever: he got a girlfriend over the weekend who broke things off on his birthday, then got dumped by his oldest friend.  We called him on his birthday (assuming his girlfriend/friends would be helping him to celebrate) and no one planned anything.  It made/makes me sad. We are going to be doing an outing for/with him probably next weekend when Eric is off again.  This week is too full and confusing.

My brain feels fried right now.  I am stressed out and sad and weary.  Too much to think about with regard to juggling the future. It's better to focus on the here and now instead.  Anyhow, that is what's new around here! I am hoping things start to settle into some sort of routine, and I am glad we still have most of a month to get organized, even if things are coming up quickly!

No comments: