Sunday, August 10, 2008

Catching up, a week later....

I figured I would take a bit of time and just write about last weekend, and how wonderful and magical it really was. I don't have tons of pics from the days leading up to the wedding, but will share pics of that day when I get to it. Time to remember!

Last Thursday, July 31st, was a busy day, getting things organized and last minute shopping done: Bingo needed the "uniform" the rest of the young men were wearing--khaki pants, white shirt, and tie--for the wedding, and I too needed a few things for the reception and for birthday presents for my nieces, so off we ran. Our first stop was to Fort Snelling National Cemetary. My father and my grandfather are buried there, and I had a strong need to be by my dad briefly before heading into my new life. It was very emotional for me to sit by my dad's headstone. I think he would really like Spike, and that he would approve of all the changes I am making; in fact, in an email my mother forwarded to me this past week, my dad's youngest sister mentioned that my dad would be so proud and happy for me. I cried as I thought my thoughts and said my goodbyes. I know I will be back to visit, but it won't be the same.

Thursday evening Spike and his kids got into town, a little later than planned, but safely and happy to be here, and then Spike and I rushed right out to get to the train station to meet up with his parents. We got to the station a little early and it was nice to just be together. I had to laugh at Spike: he was watching someone taking photographs of the crowd, and mentioned his discomfort with that--you can take the cop out of the uniform, but not out of the man... We got his folks to my mom's shortly after 11:30 p.m. We visited there for a brief time to wind down, then headed home to bed. We arrived back at my house to find a party in full swing as all of the kids got re-acquainted with each other. Spike and I had a drink, then headed to bed!

Friday August 1st was spent meeting with the Pastor, running errands and showing off the beauty of the neighborhood I live in. We picked up the cupcakes for the reception (which we had in place of wedding cake) and the champagne, and we took Spike's parents on a tour of Lock and Dams #1 and Minnehaha Falls Regional Park. It was fitting in some ways to revisit those places together in that Spike and I spent the last day of our first weekend together at those self-same spots. We walked the trails and had the most gorgeous weather for our outing, and we watched pleasure craft and a small barge navigate the river passage. We had dinner at the Mall of America, and showed that off as well briefly; I was kinda' a wet, sticky mess because Bingo, in his excitement to be a part of a picture, accidently knocked my full glass of raspberry ice tea into my lap... It was either laugh or cry, and we chose to laugh about it. Then back to Mom's to drop off the folks, and home to bed...

The alarm didn't go off on my wedding day, and I awoke in a panic--was to be at my sister's salon at 7 am, and it was 6:29 when I woke up! Fortunately Spike's girls weren't quite so slug-a-bed as I was, and they were already up and showered... Ceese and I quickly readied and we were off to get me ready for the big day! My sister started to roll my hair, and my sister-in-law did my makeup for me--I was primped and pampered in fine style! While I processed, Spike's girls and Ceese got primped as well, and we all enjoyed highly caffeinated drinks to keep us powered up...








Once my hair was done, then it was time to get dressed, and the baby's breath added to my hair. I was so proud that it came from my garden--I grew it myself! I was thrilled with how it turned out, and couldn't believe it was really me: I felt like a fairy princess! My dress was very "untraditional", but suited me, and I was so glad I bought it. We then headed to the church, with my daughter driving, and I was quickly shuffled off to a back room. My beautiful daughter in law and granddaughter joined me in the wait, and I was glad for the company! I was so very happy--not worried, nervous, or anxious about anything. I felt like I was glowing, like my happiness was over-flowing.






















My daughter was my maid of honor, and my boys walked me down the aisle, as Spike waited for me with his oldest son. When the Pastor asked "who gives this woman to be wedded to this man?" my children responded with "We do", and Bingo added in, "definately!" in a loud, firm, and joyful voice. It also made me laugh that as I was walking down the aisle my grandson announced "You gettin' married Gram!" to me, and I responded with a laugh and "Yes I am!". It was a small, intimate ceremony that focused on family, love, and joy, just as we wanted it to be!







After the ceremony was done, we headed to my brother and sister-in-law's house, where they graciously hosted our reception brunch. The food was fabulous, the company joyful, and the weather perfect! I was thrilled with how they had decorated the back yard with tables and canopies, and was surrounded by my my loved ones--who could ask for more!

I was so very happy that afternoon, and I had such fun! Spike and I stayed to help with a little of the clean-up, then in our wedding finery we were off to the local grocery store, to get supplies for party #2 at my house! I will save that for the next posting though--it is wonderful to just savor these memories for now!

No comments: