Thursday, August 14, 2008

Reflections on this past week...

I don't have a lot of pictures to share about this past week we have been here, but I thought I would share a few stories and thoughts...

On getting updated ID's: it's a pain in the tucus! We went to the driver's license place to get an IL driver's license for me and change my van's plates to IL plates (the tabs are due up this month and it just made sense to do so), so we went on Tuesday, only to find there were massively long lines. The reason? The site is closed on Mondays so everyone and their cousins were there first thing Tuesday, just like us. While waiting in line Spike dropped it on me that I would need to take the written test over again for IL... I hate taking tests I didn't study for first! Then, we reached the gentleman who reviewed my documents (birth certificate, marriage license, MN DL) and told me without a social security card, I could not get an IL license... I had been to the SS administrative offices on Friday and they accepted my documentation; they said the new card would arrive sometime in the next 2 weeks... (for the record, I have no idea where my social security card is that has my previous name on it). So on to plan B, changing plates on the van... I gave them my license, my insurance card, and my vehicle registration, only I didn't have the title with me, so that shot down that option too... I have the title, I just don't rightly know which box it currently resides in (there are about 5 boxes between the dining room and the garage which say "desk/office stuff" on them...). Sigh...

We ran back to the house to get Bingo, with the intention of next running to Scott Airforce Base to get our dependent military ID's. We had tried to do this on Friday, only to find out that there were intensely long lines, the computer system was acting up, and folks were not happy! So we tabled it for Tuesday. Tuesday was no better, especially when reading the sign that said the system was STILL down and would be offline Wed. and Thurs. for upgrading and maintenance. We saw the crowds waiting, but decided to give it a try, signed in, and we waited.... and waited... and waited... Two hours later, and adorable little girl in an airforce uniform called us back, congratulated us on our marriage, and went ahead and issued the ID's, using the information and documentation I had with me. Yay! Bingo was quite thrilled to now be an Army Brat, at least on paper and I was happy to finally have an ID that has my correct name and picture on it.

Things were starting to look up, so the next step was registering Bingo for school (Spike's kids were registered the previous day, as it was being done alphabetically). We had to stop by the house though for a utility bill, to prove residency. We got to the high school, found the correct office, and were told I needed to make an appointment to register him. This was contrary to the information we had been given previously (and it was NOT listed on the website either), so I made the appointment for next Tuesday (note--school starts next Thursday, a half day). Grrrr! At least I was given all the forms I needed to fill out, and they were pleased I had almost all of the necessary documentation I needed for him for their records. As an aside I spent a part of yesterday morning on the phone with Mpls Public Schools getting fax numbers and so forth for record transfers... Never a dull moment trying to get established in a new area!

The next stop on our list was the post office... I had done an address change form here and sent it back to Minneapolis, because I had run out of time up there, but when our mail was delivered Tuesday morning ALL Spike's mail had yellow labels that said "No Forwarding Address on File". We told the Postmaster that Bingo and I were being added to those living here, NOT replacing them! They said they would fix it, and sure enough, yesterday's mail had no yellow stickies on it. We also ran to the library, since we were right there, and got library cards, all three of us. I am so glad to have it cuz money is tight for buying books, and I'd just as soon borrow and return most of them... We went to the "city hall" and got added to the residency roster, grabbed a delicious ice cream cone from the coffee shop across the street, and then stopped at the grocery store for some things needed for dinner... Lots of running around, but it was helpful for me: I think I may finally be able to figure out where I am on my own now!

Unpacking... It is slow going! As a dear friend said to me when unpacking her things after moving into her house, each day is like a treasure hunt, minus the map... I have a general idea where specific things are, but given I had help packing up the main floor, I am clueless as to where specifically many things are, and the labels on the boxes are just vague enough to be of limited assistance! Like finding my Van title--I wonder if it would be easier to just request a duplicate of it! My clothes now grace that fantastic walk in closet we have (the one that Batman and Rosie call home), and I have filled the dresser, but I still need to figure out what I am gonna do with the rest of my things--and I have a missing tote that is probably somewhere in the garage--some of my blouses and dresses remain awol... I haven't really begun tackling the boxes themselves because we need to figure out where I am gonna insert my things, as well as what of Spike's he's thinking about parting with so we have room. I really love the closet space here, but miss the basement dreadfully!

The animals are starting to acclimate to each other, although Batman and Rosie are not venturing farther than the bedroom door (or the open windows overlooking the street) as yet. Spike's three dogs and the cat venture in and sniff, the cats have sat guardedly close to each other, (with occasional hissing and complaints), and we have taken to keeping the doors all open when we are home. At night Spike and I have tried to corral my cats back into the closet for the sake of sound sleep--Batman has taken to liking being "up high" and sits on top of the headboard, then pounces up and down as we are trying to sleep--13 lbs of cat hitting a sleep number mattress (kinda like an air mattress) makes for a bouncy night's rest! They decided last night that they no longer want to be in the closet and snuck out every chance they got... Batman has also decided that his spot on the bed is right between Spike and I, as close to us as he can get!

The kids are doing fairly well acclimating to each other full time as well. There have been a few ups and downs, but Spike and I are trying to be mostly neutral about all of it--no more his kids/my kid stuff, or as little of it as we can manage. I did my first official job as a stepmother yesterday in bringing the kids to their dental appointment, and it was fun! I still get caught off guard being called "Mrs. M" and I still am referring decisions to Spike that relate to his offspring, but I am taking a more active role in giving permission for activities etc. here at home. It is finally starting to sink in that I am here to stay and am not just a guest here for an extended visit. How wierd is that! And I like it. I like being Mrs M and I like being here with everyone, and I am slowly finding my place in the scheme of things. Bingo too is finding his way. I think it is harder for him than it is for me, and while they have been great to include him in everything, I know he misses his friends and his sibs. I see it in his eyes and his attitude at times, and I hear it in his voice. I am praying so hard for him that things ease a bit for him. If it is stressful for me, I can only imagine what it must be like for him.

My grandson has been talking to me on the phone here and there. Today was the first time he has told me I need to come home. He called me last week and told me "Bring Batman home Gram--I miss Batman" and it almost made me cry; he also added that "Unk" needed to come home now too, and he apparently has been telling his mother they need to go get "Unk" and bring him home. Up until today if I asked him if he missed me he would reply "Miss Batman and Unk" only... Today he missed me too. I am grateful that we can talk on the phone whenever we want to, and it pleases me that the kids let him call me when he asks. I miss my babies dreadfully! J-fizzle informed me during one of his calls that I "live way far away in Nininoise"...

Spike and I were looking at the school release calendars and figuring out when it would be a good time to make a trip north to go visit the kids. Right now, it looks the the weekend prior to Columbus day (October) will be the best, with the next opportunity being the weekend before Veteran's day in November. I am clueless as to what we will do for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays... One step at a time I guess. I have been told that family is looking at coming down here in September, so that will help too--I cannot wait to have company!

I have started to receive the final bills for utilities from home, and we will hopefully be closing on the house early next week; then most of my material ties to MN will be closed out. The emotional ones will linger forever tho'. So far my homesickness is at a bare minimum--there is too much to do here to dwell too long on thoughts of home, and I talk to family frequently enough now that it feels like they are just down the street and not 600 miles away. I do need to start job hunting--once the kids are all in school this house will feel too big and too empty I think, and I will need something to occupy myself during the day. I have already been approached (and gently but firmly told) to join the Women's group at church--they are meeting on Monday evening. I plan to go, to see what it is like, since I am free to do so, but as Mom pointed out, now is not the time to get myself over-committed to anything until I see what my time is actually gonna look like.

So that is what life is looking like for us right now: running the roads, unpacking, readying for the new school year, and working on job stuff (Spike has appointments for his new job scheduled for next week--YAY!). I have a to-do list a mile long, or so it seems, and as I finish one thing, there are plenty of others to add on at the bottom... Please keep sending me emails or commenting here--I am loving the feedback and staying in touch with everyone!

No comments: