Monday, August 18, 2008

So today I attempted to run some errands on my own...

and got myself somewhat turned around. I had to drop Spike's youngest off at a babysitting job this morning, and decided it would be the perfect day to run to the bank and change my name on my checking account. I had been told there was a branch of my bank closer to us than the one off of I64, but I KNEW how to get to the one off the freeway, and that is where I headed... Got to the bank, completed the paperwork, no sweat! I was so proud of myself! Next door was a PetSmart, and I knew we needed a new dog cable to tie the dogs outside (the lab broke the last one in her excitement to join the kids in the front yard), so I got one of those, then decided to find my way back to Target and Michael's using the back streets... BAD Idea!!!! Unbeknownst to me, the street running parallel to the interstate, behind the Fairview Shopping Mall, does not run true East-West. It has some kind of a gentle curve to it, because next thing you know, I was running north across 64, and I was in the wrong lane to get onto 64 east as I wanted to be! I still had a general idea of where I was, so I crossed the freeway and turned around at a fast food joint (getting a cup of coffee in the process), and headed back to get on to 64 East again... Then, I knew that I wanted Green Mount Avenue (or is it road?) and I knew the exit was close to the one I had gotten on at, but when I saw exit 16, (and I said to myself, that is the one I want), there was no road label on it, just the name of two cities, one north, one south! So I didn't get off, and drove right past the shopping area I had wanted... No big deal, I told myself; I will just get off at the next exit and turn around! So I continue driving, get off on the next exit (Scott Airforce Base/Shiloh) and discover that there isn't a left turn option at the end of the exit ramp... So I went right, and not wanting to go on base, took the right at the lights towards Shiloh, thinking I will just turn around and head back... OOooohhhhh nooooo.... The road into Shiloh is a narrow, one lane in each direction road with a double yellow line down the middle, that winds on forever, or so it seems... I had to go all the way into Main Street in order to turn around and head back. Now already a significant way out of my way, I figured, ok, I am back on track to head to Target, and meandered my way back onto 64, now going west, and got off on exit 16, appropriately labeled with the name of the street I was looking for.

Got to Target, found a convenient parking spot, and went inside, only to find they were completely out of what I was looking for: 6-36" wide vinyl miniblinds for the two bedrooms that face East (three needed in each bedroom).... Bah! Ok, all is not lost, there is a Hallmark store there in the shopping strip, so I wandered in there to find "Thank You" notes for the wedding stuff. That was a wasted effort too: the ones I liked and thought were fairly affordable they didn't have enough of (read one pack of 10 notecards), or were very expensive, and you still needed at least 4-5 packages to have enough notes... No Thank You! Guess I need to check Michael's for notecards, I decided, and headed directly there, across the parking lot. Sure enough, I found exactly what I was looking for, at an affordable price (although not having a newspaper, I didn't have a coupon for the usual 40% off one item special they run weekly), so I bought them, and I also bought a retractable tape measure--it was on sale, and I can always use a new one with the knitting I do! I was responsible tho'--they have all the new fall yarns in and the colors all cried out to me, but I resisted temptation... Spike will be so pleased!

Now the salesperson in Target had said there was another Target just up the road about 3 miles or so ("Go left at the lights, then right at the next lights, and then go straight for around 3 miles....") and they supposedly had 7 blinds in the size I need in stock. I was tempted to try my luck in finding it, but decided to make that jaunt another day. I'd had enough of exploration for one shopping trip.

Yesterday we went as a family to see the movie "The Dark Knight"--the new batman flick. It was very dark, very thought provoking, and very good, although I am not sure that I can say I "enjoyed" it. It wasn't that kind of a movie. Spike made the comment that it was a movie one needs to see more than once in order to catch everything that wen on in it, because it was so dense. I agree! It was also kinda fun that when we came out, a martial arts school was doing a demo in the lobby of the theater, in honor of the new StarWars animated movie, Clone Wars. Watching those kids brought back some happy memories for me of when Bingo was in TaeKwonDo, and I really wish he would go back into it. He says he will do it if Spike does it too (seeing as Spike said he'd like to get into Martial Arts Training himself). I hope they do it! I really enjoyed watching Bingo as he trained and competed. It was so amazing! So we will see what happens...

Spike is at school right now, the kids are all watching tv in the living room (except for Bingo who is up here on the bed by me playing with the three cats--I got them a new toy today), and I am trying to make a plan for the afternoon. Job hunting is high on the list, ergo getting my resume put together, as is doing a few household chores that need to be done. One thing at a time I guess! I had a hard time sleeping last night: woke up at 2:30 am and stayed awake 'til after 4 am. In fact, as I was finally drifting back off to sleep, I heard GI Jane getting up for work!

Lots of thoughts were tumbling through my head, keeping me awake: money things, Bingo starting high school, the house closing (which takes place tomorrow without me--I have signed all the papers I need to sign long distance and fed-ex'd them to the closer, and my Mom is signing for me with a limited power-of-attorney at the actual event). I admit, I am having feelings about it no longer being "my house". I invested 24 years into that house and yard, and I loved it dearly. It represented Home and Family to me, and I struggled so hard to keep it as a haven for all of us, especially after my ex walked out. While I am relieved to be out from under the debt, it is hard to let go too--it hurts some. I am so very glad my daughter is getting it though--I know she will love and cherish it as I did, and I can always go back to visit. Settling in here too was tumbling through my head, about how to make it feel more like "mine" instead of still feeling like a guest. I have added a few touches of my own around here, and there is no one saying I can't personalize it more, but I am still not there quite yet. Too much is still in boxes and it still feels foreign to be rearranging things when they have had things in a particular way for so long... I know Bingo is feeling that way too on some level. So far I have made a small "nest" for myself in the bedroom, with my laptop, my Ott Light, and my Cross Stitching frame and basket by the bed, and that helps--it is a place that I can come to when I need to coccoon. Bingo has done the same on his bottom bunk... So it is a start.

Hmmm afternoon is here, and I haven't done much more than run the roads so far today. I guess it is time to get onto the next chore--either laundry or dishes or both!

No comments: