Friday, May 27, 2011

I'm back "home" in MN!

Rei, Skye, and I drove back to MN yesterday, to be here for Memorial weekend. I had a number of reasons for coming this weekend: my dear friend's amazing daughter Amy is graduating from high school and her achievement is being celebrated on Sunday; we are *supposed* to have family from Florida up here visiting (although they are roadtripping too and are on a very loose schedule); and I had postponed my original visit from Easter weekend til now due to the heart scare. Unfortunately it's a grey and gloomy weekend being predicted, but since I didn't come for any out-of-door events, I don't care. I came to see those I love and have missed and that's my plan!

We got in last night around 8ish, and surprised my sister with a visit. I had knit a beaded shawl for her that I wanted her to have before she headed up to the lake this weekend, and I really wanted her to have it for her surgery recovery (she is having a complete hysterectomy on the 6th). She loved it, and I was so pleased to give it to her! I also got to admire her new cement work that was laid yesterday, and it looks stunning, and I got to see my lovely niece, home from college for the summer.

We got here to Liisa's close to 10 pm and I was exhausted. We got unpacked so I could set up the pack 'n play for Skye to sleep in, and I crashed sometime around 11:30. My friend Erika has been teasing me about staying in my old house, now owned by my daughter, and my ex-husband also living here...  Surprisingly, it doesn't feel awkward at all.  It just feels like "home."  I enjoy being at my mom's but I love being here in the old house, in the old neighborhood. It is comforting to see the familiar around me, even with the changes Liisa is slowly making. The new privacy fence is gorgeous, and the gardens have, for the most part, become a clean slate to resettle. I love how neat and clean it all looks, and that the gates now work!

Skye got up at the god-awful time of 6:43 this morning, and was wide awake, so we started our day. I gave her a bottle, then a bath, and then I showered too. We took Liisa with us and went out for breakfast with Erika at Denny's, then dropped Erika off at an appointment and headed to Tony and Andrea's house. Alexis was thrilled to see me and Skye, and we spent a good hour and a half over there visiting and taking a few pictures. We will be going back this afternoon after Justin gets home from school so I can see him too. We came home so I could lay Skye down for a nap, and she is crashed out. I knew she was getting tired from all the playing she did with Alexis.

I am gonna start my homework, but figured I would post this quick so everyone knew where I was. Skye travelled awesomely yesterday and has been no trouble at all to take places, although she is hating her car seat at the moment...  Perhaps I will post more about me trip later this weekend, although perhaps not. Totally depends on what I have for free time!

No comments: