Monday, December 5, 2011

Rain, Sleet, and Snow

Yeah, that describes our day today.  Another day of grey skies, gloom, and chill. I almost miss the MN cold and snow, especially the sun sparkling off of it.  So tired of brown, mud, and damp.

Some ups and downs around here, but nothing too major at the moment. Aurora got her driver's license on Wed. of last week and is loving the freedom it gives her. I too love the freedom it gives me from driving her back and forth on a semi-daily basis. She is in finals this week, then off til after the holidays. She is looking forward to the time off, but has done well as far as she can tell this term.

We had another set-to with the school over Reimond that I ended up addressing with both the principal and vice-principal.  They were going to give him an out-of-school suspension for telling a sub that "this is bullshit" and the shutting down after the principal and vice principal started rehashing things and he didn't agree with them.  I blew a gasket over this.  First of all, he started on new meds the previous evening to help him sleep, and he had asked to get a drink at the fountain because he felt nauseous and he had cotton mouth from the meds; he was told not until he finished his HOMEWORK (not a test, or something they might be concerned he was cheating on), and despite his being polite, explaining himself, and then getting frustrated (hence the comment) to being told no, he wasn't otherwise verbally abusive, out of line, or in anyway aggressive.  When he was sent to the office he explained his side of things and when the two continued to get him to agree he was in the wrong for not accepting no, he shut his mouth, as we (and his therapist) told him to, rather than be verbally abusive, disrespectful, or otherwise get himself into further trouble.  I pointed out he was on the new med because of another suicidal episode resulting in a night spent in the emergency room in St. Louis (the psychiatrist on call elected not to admit him, despite recommendations to do so, so I brought him home), and the hope was that the two meds (one in the morning, one at night) would work to calm the "seizures" he was experiencing in his emotional-regulation centers and help him to get on course.

I explained the situation to them in some detail, only to be told that my conversations with the school SW, my son's guidance counselor, various teachers, AND his IEP case coordinator had not been shared with the the principal, and she was willing to work with me rather than against me in trying to implement some changes that will support his IEP, which has not been followed this year (we have an IEP review tomorrow morning at 9 am). The principal gave me her card and asked me to keep her in the communication loop, and she would then forward info to the teachers etc. as needed, and that Rei would be allowed to take a couple of minutes to cool down if needed, or get a drink of water, and the IEP would be honored. I left the school feeling better about things, including the fact that while he did go home with me for the rest of the day, he was allowed to return to class the next day, serve an ISS for the first two hours, then return to his classes as scheduled.  I could support that.

I saw the eye doctor for the glaucoma check and she said the results came back as borderline normal (slight loss in neural bundles, but still on the outer edge of normal), so we need to keep track of it yearly, unless I experience significant change.  Then, I saw the urologist on friday, and I had a CT scan today for the microhematuria (blood in the urine). There was continued blood present in the sample, but I was called today and told no infection was present (which could be a cause). I was more freaked out about the CT scan than I thought I was, because I didn't sleep most of last night.  I read in bed til after 3 am, was still awake when the alarm went off at 3:45, then dozed thereafter until a little after 7, when I was again wide awake. Eric went with me to the appointment, and I was glad knowing he was there.  The IV was no big deal, but when they put in the contrast it felt really wierd.  I won't get results from it til the end of the week, and in two weeks I'll be having a cystoscopy in the office to look for internal issues.  Not looking forward to that at all, but I guess if my granddaughter can deal with it, I can too. The joys of getting older!  When I was at the urologist appointment, I was the youngest person there, and (I think) the only female patient. The rest were elderly men in the waiting room, with their wives.  It felt akward!

The rest of the kids are doing fine. Patrick was here for our family thanksgiving dinner the sunday after the holiday and he continues to be managing. We sent him home with leftovers. Brie is still busy with school, drill, and work, along with Skye, and is doing a better job of managing her time when here at home. Skye is trying hard to talk and mimics some words, but nothing consistent as yet. She is having night terrors on occasion, but we are getting through them a night at a time. Eric started his new term tonight, with two evening classes and one online class. It's gonna be a challenge, but he is close to being done. I too am getting to the wrapping up the term time, and am looking forward to a few weeks break.

We are NOT going to MN for Christmas afterall, my decision, because Brie is not eligible for any time off, and I didn't feel right about taking Skye for a second year over the holiday, leaving her home alone knowing that she won't be with Skye at all next year (she'll be deployed). I am ok with it, and am looking forward to getting the house ready to decorate and making things Merry around here.

That's my latest news from the damp and chilly state of IL!



No comments: