Sunday, December 18, 2011

Trying to feel the Christmas spirit...

I am trying really hard to find and feel the Christmas spirit. It seems to be missing this year. Some of it (for me anyway) is the weather, which has been fluctuating between temperate and cold, grey and rainy, with some sun, and all the grass is still green even though the trees are bare. It just doesn't feel like Christmas is next weekend. It still feels like early November.

I have both quilt tops done now. Did the second one over the last two days, and my muscles are feeling it. I need to pin baste them out, but don't have the energy to tackle it right now. Probably tomorrow. I am looking at sending out the gifts when we have them ready to go, and if they are late, so be it. I can send out some of them before the holiday, but we still really haven't done any shopping, and I haven't even thought about wrapping or anything.  I want to be able to spend some time baking this week, and our plan is to get and set up the tree tomorrow/Tuesday. I have a medical procedure to get through tommorw still (cystoscopy), so I am not looking forward to that, but it is the last test on my agenda for this year. Rei has a couple more appointments in these last two weeks of the season, and then he is done as well. 

I must say, I am glad to see this year coming to a close. It has had it's fair share of ups and downs. I am not complaining, exactly, but it has been stressful in many ways. I pray next year is better for us: more peace, more time to enjoy each other, and more time to focus on the things that really matter--each other!

I got my paper done and turned in. I am guessing I will have a B for the term. My instructor is a really hard grader, and despite her positive feedback on a few things (very few), she has been stingy with grades, and not just mine. I am guessing many in the class will barely pass, if the grades she has given me are anything to go by. I am not trying to sound snooty; I just know how my work stacks up to the other discussion topics I read over the term, and mine was up near the top. I worked my butt off this term, and feel really proud of the work I did, I just wish it had gotten better grades (or feedback about how I could have improved it).

I read a really awesome book over the past couple of days: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, by Katherine Howe.  I really enjoyed it, and I had a hard time putting it down.  Very cool story, with some twists I hadn't expected (although a few were sorta obvious, still well done). Now I am reading Stephen King's latest, about JFK's assassination. It's interesting so far, and typical Stephen King (I love the conversational tone he takes in his books!)

I feel really lost because I am NOT knitting any socks at the moment. The challenge socks for the month are threefold: do an atypical technique; do socks from an assigned designer; or do a pair of "monster socks" using up leftover sock yarn accummulated from other completed pairs.  I really don't have a lot of that as yet, so that is out, and the new technique ones call to me, but are too complicated for where my head is at right now.  I am thinking about just doing a designer pair so that I have some on the needles, and I have until the 31st to start them, and the 31st of next month to finish them (plus start the January pair, lol). I am thrilled with how my socks are turning out, and I am also thrilled that Eric loves wearing my handknit socks!

I do have both a sweather (mindless knitting) and a shawl (complicated knitting) in process right now, along with the sewing, so it's not like my hands are empty.  Then there are the three cross stitching projects I have nearing degrees of completion. I just really like the satisfaction that comes from making socks.

The kids are all doing ok here. Aurora has a bad cold right now, and a sore throat. Rei is doing better than I have seen in a while, and Brie is relishing being done with her term. Eric is also on a two week break. Dan and Rei have been spending quite a bit of time with Patrick of late, and that has been good to see. He too is doing fine. Our little bit is growing and babbling non-stop, and even makes sense now and again! Today she tried to climb out of her crib and landed on her head, poor baby. Has a lovely bump and bruise, but is fine otherwise.  What a munchkin!

Anyhow, that is the update from the lower mid-west...  I will probably post again before Christmas, but if not, a blessed holiday season and Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: