Monday, May 14, 2012

On the count-down to 50!

Last week, I was running Rei and his friend to an appointment, and while listening to the story they were telling, glanced down at my speed and realized I had accelerated more than anticipated (Eric's pilot drives soooo smoothly compared to the van!). I hit the brake to slow down as I looked up, and sure enough, one of Mascoutah's finest was parked on a side road with a speed gun and I got nailed...  Stupid ticket--I have NEVER had a speeding ticket before!  I sucked it up though and was gracious with the officer as he wrote me up, and paid my fine by mail with a wry grimace...  I told Eric it was a last act of rebellion before turning 50.

My mom and sister are driving down on Thursday morning and Liisa is supposed to be coming too.  Unfortunately, Liisa is really sick right now (fever, bad throat, swollen glands, puking from the fever, chills, etc.) She called off work last night, and went to urgent care.  Given how sick she was, they called in a prescription of penecillin for her to a pharmacy that closed before she got there (she picked it up this morning), and they are waiting on strep results (quick strep was negative). She is concerned about coming down if she is sick, but hopefully by Thursday morning she will be feeling well enough to come see me.

Reimond got a letter from our district congressman on official  House of Representatives letterhead paper congratulating him on making honor roll third quarter.  We didn't realize he had made honor roll, so we were thrilled!  Rei called me and said "Mom, I bet you never thought you'd hear these words coming out of my mouth before..." then told me he was on the honor roll.  So very proud of him!

Reimond's birthday was yesterday and he spent a large part of it hanging with friends to celebrate. I think he enjoyed his day.  I had a decent mother's day too.  Spent a large part of the day writing a paper that was due last night, then spent some time in the garden with Eric working on things, and played some Everquest. Eric made coffee cake and fresh fruit for breakfast, and grilled steak, corn on the cob, and made rice for dinner, and Aurora made a lovely and tasty dessert in my honor.  She and Dan also made chocolate chip cookies for Rei (and the family) for his birthday. The weather was perfect and I couldn't have asked for a better day!

Last night was a struggle though. Skye had gotten all riled up when she should have been settling for bed, and she could not settle for anything last night. She screamed and wailed so much that I ended up sitting in the rocker with her downstairs, cuddling her and singing to her.  When she was settled I tried to lay her down but the screaming resumed, so back down we went. She fell asleep in my arms at midnight, slept an hour, then woke screaming again.  Back downstairs we went, and rocked for another half hour.  Finally at 1:30 I put her to bed and went to sleep myself (Brie had to go to bed cuz she worked at 6 this morning, and Eric had to be up at 3:45, leaving me to deal with the punk!  She got up in a great mood for the day just after 10, and we have had a good day since!

I called and scheduled a new eye appt for myself for tomorrow morning at 10.  My vision is getting bad again to the point I am getting tension headaches and I am struggling to read my research articles, texts, and the computer.  Cannot sew or cross stitch right now by hand, and even knitting on small needles (Still have to finish the April socks, and haven't touched any for May) is challenging to focus clearly on.  It is scary and maddening.  I don't know that I am quite ready for surgery, but I definitely need my lenses tweaked if nothing else.  Bah!

Ok, Skye is firmly napping, Brie is off to do a couple of errands herself, and I have things to do downstairs.  I think it's safe to get moving on chores now.

No comments: