Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Middle of August countdown...

We are coming to the end of our summer and things continue to move at a hectic pace.  I have really enjoyed having Justin and Alexis here with us and they have kept things lively and active for me, although I admit to being somewhat tired out.  Andrea is driving down next week (either Tuesday or Wednesday) to come get them and they (I think) are starting to miss home, although Justin will definitely miss the xbox 360 (he has become a major Lego Starwar's fan) and Alexis is a bit bummed I have done no sewing with her.  I would have, but I just can't see clearly at this point to make things.

Eric is on the homeward stretch for two of his three classes (he dropped the third one and will need to retake it next term), with two weeks to go, and Reimond starts school Friday.  Brie and Aurora both start in the next week/week and a half for their semesters, and I am no closer to an internship now than I have been all along.  I am frustrated, mostly with myself on that score, because I have not devoted the time or energy necessary to follow up on the leads I find, or on emails I have sent, although in my defence, life has had a tendency of late to run away with my free time. Eric is back working overnights, and adjusting to that schedule has been brutal!

Brie and Aurora have taken Skye to the ER tonight.  Skye got shots the end of last week, had a bad reaction at one injection site, was sorta fussy off and on (trouble sleeping at night especially) and limited appetite, then had the runs really bad on Monday into Tuesday.  She ate better today and seemed better this morning, only to wake up from a nap with a fever of 102.2 and cry/complain of pain in a couple of random places.  Because she really cannot tell us, and this has been going on for a few days (and she is so small), it just makes sense to bring her in and see.  Could be something in her ears or nose again; could be a virus; could be an ear infection or a bladder infection...  Brie just called and her temp isn't going down, despite motrin, so they are testing her for strep among other things.  I couldn't hear Brie clearly as the signal she had sucked, but it sounds like they will be at the ER for a while yet.

I had a frustrating day today of running from pharmacy to pharmacy: I need to get my pre-op/post-op eye drops filled as I am supposed to start them on Monday, but my normal pharmacy on base didn't have 2 of them and refused to fill the third (because it is in a family of meds I have had an allergic reaction to--although the doctor was adamant that shouldn't be an issue with the drops); So 2 hours at the pharmacy on base, only to have to go to plan B, the WalMart pharmacy.  After being there for an hour it turns out two of the three were out of stock, so need to be ordered, and should be there tomorrow after 3.  So nice of them to let me know up front instead of making me wait and check back twice with the counter!  Justin and Alexis were very good at all of these places for the most part (they got restless and owly with each other a few times), but our plans were shot to heck for the day.  Better luck tomorrow I hope!  I did let them stay up a bit later tonight playing because it was only them and me home tonight, and now they are chatting like magpies in their bed in the loft...

Eric and I have been debating about upgrading the lens they place in my eye from the basic one to a more complete one (minimizing my need for glasses).  We need to make a decision fairly soon as the surgery is Wednesday.  The cost is a drawback in some regards, and I will be satisfied just being able to see clearly again, glasses or not.  I am just so ready to have it done with!

Tony had his surgery on his knee and it has resulted in a lot of pain as things heal.  His tendons were affected by the chunks of calcium that broke off and floated around in there, and this healing process is not what he expected (one individual--not medical--suggested he'd be back on his feet and working within 48 hours of surgery!)  My poor boy is a hurting unit, and he HATES taking meds for anything, so he is trying to tough it out and manage.  Andrea will be driving down on her own because he cannot sit for 10+ hours in the car without his knee/leg being elevated so he is staying home this trip.  The kids and I had a wonderful evening last evening looking at all my pictures of previous trips they have made here, and of my trip to visit them in El Paso.  We laughed at how tiny they were, at some of their antics in the pictures, and how much they have changed over the course of 5 years.  It was a lovely trip down memory lane!

Reimond is home from Alaska (got home Sunday) and has "visited" home daily, but has been staying at his buddy Ryan's house.  I am hoping this changes come school starting, but after a summer of travelling, Rei and Ryan have lots to catch up on and they have used this week to do so.  He keeps me appraised of his doings and has not been driving all over the place, despite having his own vehicle now, because he knows he needs to cover his own gas etc. and has learned the value of money over this summer.  I continue to be pleased with the way he is maturing!  He and Maddie really miss each other and they talk/skype/text daily.  They seem to be good for each other and for that I am very pleased as well.

Patrick hasn't been in touch at any length of late, but we have been exchanging text messages with him.  He seems to be doing ok and his living arrangements are working out for the nonce.  He did say he didn't think he'd be back in September after all because he doesn't think he'll have the money to travel, and to a certain degree, I think he likes being self-sufficient.  We all made sure to wish him a happy birthday, and he was pleased by all the comments.

Hey, my peanut gallery is finally quiet, so I guess that means I can relax some too now.  Time to find my Nook and settle in with a new book!

No comments: