Monday, September 19, 2016

That didn't go as planned!


So I am home from work today... On Saturday night I had a fall on some uneven asphalt, and the asphalt won:





Fortunately the injuries are all cosmetic--scrapes and bruises--but one cannot comfortably enquire about the abuse of children when one looks like a victim....

The swelling of my face has gone down, and the black eye looks more shadowy than it truly is, but the bruises are blooming nicely. I caught my foot, lost my balance, and gracefully landed on knees, hands, shoulder, and face. The shoulder bruise is still too deep to see, but the rest are colorful. Falling at 54 is far more traumatic than falling at 4 was, and I am feeling muscles I forgot I had!

On a happier note, I have gotten through the bins of yarn, and bags of clothes that I brought back from MN. 
 Going from this...
To this:

There is more to do, and I have enough acrylic and cotton yarn to make more afghans and dishcloths than I will ever be able to use, but I am excited by the possibilities! 

I have gotten further into the shaping of the "skirt" on my Hitofude cardigan, and am enjoying knitting on it. Still have reservations that it will fit me, but lace sizing isn't true until it's blocked. I am really craving starting something new as a reward for all I've finished, something small and portable like socks. No socks are on the needles right now, which is unheard of--I generally have at least one pair going at a time! 

I also have the sewing bug something fierce.  I've been reading a number of sewing blogs that are stirring my desire to sew clothes and quilts. Fortunately I have quilts to work on and plenty of things to lay out and stitch up.  Thanks Cindy for redirecting me back to the world of blogging!

Reimond is settling in nicely at his new job and home. Andrea has only called once to beg me to come and get him! Tony is having fun with a partner in crime--can do his weekend side jobs in half the time with his brother to help (of course he also has to split the profits). Liisa closed on the house with little ceremony and is breathing easier. 

Work has been stressful for me. The cases are what you'd expect, and they take their normal toll. There are tensions though from staffing changes that are also taking a toll on morale and attitudes, not all for theBetter, and policy changes to figure out. Government work is never static. Eric is taking on additional temporary supervisor duties as well for the time being. It's a nice change for him and despite being back on overnights effective this week, a positive challenge. For the rest of the family things are fairly status quo. 

I bought myself some roses when doing a Walmart run last weekend, and they made me smile. As did some keepsakes I found amongst my treasures I unpacked, sorted, and repackaged. I texted back and forth with my sister and a cousin, sharing things that made us smile, like my deceased cousin's 4 year old signature from 1962, and gifts and notes from Kristi in the late 70's.

Two other odd finds:

 I don't know if it would still play--need to find some batteries!

And Skee-ball tickets (from valley Fair?)

 There must be a couple hundred of them. I don't remember what I was saving them for, but I wonder if they could be redeemed still!

Anyhow, while Eric naps, I am taking it easy and letting my body heal. The irony of my fall is that I was wearing decent shoes, hadn't been drinking, and Eric was right beside me, but couldn't grab me in time to steady me! I'm grateful nothing worse happened other than mortification and some soreness and stiffness. I'm debating on finding my knitting, cross stitching, or crocheting out here in the glorious sunshine. It's not my normal Monday!




No comments: