Sunday, December 21, 2008

I have finished making the few gifts I was making,

I have poured a glass of wine, and I am going to start wrapping gifts after I write this entry. Eric and Cliff are at work, Brianne is on the other end of the sectional with her cross stitching, and the tv is on. A nice companionable evening. We've had a crazy last couple of days, so it's nice to just sit a bit!

Wednesday night brought home to me, once again, the differences between living in a small town versus living in a big city (or perhaps it's just the difference between living in IL vs. MN). Aurora had a band concert that evening (rescheduled from Monday's cancellation due to the ice storm), and the first difference noticed was the fact that it was actually called a "Christmas Concert for Band and Choir". In MN that would have been taboo. (It would be politically correctly called a "Seasonal Concert" or "Holiday Concert"). Secondly, the concert was begun with the singing (and playing) of the Star Spangled Banner . Then, there was the opening number by the choir, from Handel's Messiah: Unto us a child is born. In MN we had a choral director almost get fired when I was a junior in H.S. for chosing to perform a sacred song.
That too was taboo! The concert was a lovely mix of the sacred and the secular, and I found it to be extremely refreshing. Aurora did a nice job, as did the band and choirs, and it helped me to finally get into the holiday spirit. After the concert I took all the kids to McDonald's for dinner (much to Cliff's chagrin: the 8 of us were the start of the post concert rush that lasted for an hour and a half--heeheehee). By the time we got home it was getting late, so we called it a night.

Tuesday evening Aurora and Brianne decided to start cross stitching, using some kits they found stored away, so I spent a pleasant evening with them getting projects organized and then over the past few days stitching by them. I have so enjoyed this! It's something I did with Liisa all the time, and it is also something I did with the kids at work as I taught them different handcraft skills, and I have missed it. Even Eric got out a project he's been working on and joined us! There is something totally relaxing about sharing projects with each other and just "being".

Friday Eric and I headed out to finish our shopping for gifts to be mailed during the day, and that was a lot of fun, albeit a bit tiring. It was also the last day of school for the kids, and they came home wired and excited for the start of their winter break. They had things to do (i.e. packing) but were eager to spend time with friends for the last time before heading for points north. I had Cliff get the tree set up for me, and then Patrick and I got out boxes of ornaments after he got home. Brie and Aurora spent time setting up the lights and fluffing the branches the way they wanted them done, and we started decorating the tree, but it is a work in progress. Brie still needs to put on her ornaments, then I will add in mine from MN. I have taken some pictures, but it will be awhile before I can post them--I sent my camera to MN with Bingo. I worked on finishing up laundry for the kids to get packing, and I admit it, it was after 2:30 am before I fell asleep... It's so hard to fall asleep sometimes with Eric working all night!

Saturday morning I was up before 8 am, and had the kids moving by 9. Patrick hadn't even started packing and I found myself directing him towards suitcases and clean clothes as I made sure Rei had everything he needed. Eric's ex arrived just after 11 am. Her plan was to grab Patrick and drop Aurora off at the high school for her bowling tournament, then follow the bus there and leave for IN from the bowling alley after it was done. Rei and I headed out to drive to Scott, where we were gonna pick up the train, only I had been so busy keeping track of his stuff I forgot my cell phone and we had to briefly circle back to the house... We were on the train by 11:30 and arrived at the airport about one. Rei's flight was scheduled to leave at 2, but when we were checking in we found it was delayed until 3:30. We grabbed a bite at Burger King, then waited... and waited... and waited... The fight was delayed until 4, then until 4:30, then until 5... Suddenly we were told there was a brief window open for taking off and they started boarding just before 4 with a 4:15 departure... We were talking to Liisa and Andrea and other family repeatedly; Minneapolis was under a winter weather warning with snow falling steadily. There were cancellations of flights right, left, and sideways, and Rei was getting anxious. They boarded Rei first as an "unaccompanied minor", then the rest of the plane was seated. A family was taking off the plane because their "carryons" weighed too much and the pilot disallowed it, thus losing the window for takeoff... After taxiing away from the gate, Rei texted, then called me to say they were sitting on the runway and had another 45 minute delay... He finally took off just after 5:30, and arrived in Minneapolis at 7:10, almost 4 hours later than planned. Jesse met him at the airport, and bless his heart, had waited patiently through all the push and pull. I too stayed in St Louis at the airport 'til I was sure he was in the air, and he was actually on the ground in Mpls before I arrived back at Scott to pick up my car! Go figure! I was at the airport for over 5 hours, and I had been on the road for an additional 3 on the train. Rei said that the landing was easy and the flight was fine; he went directly to burger king again to eat, and then over to see the babies, happy to be home.

Aurora and Patrick had to stop back at the house before heading to IN, as Aurora had forgotten something here, then they too headed for points north. They apparently hit a patch of ice on the road and spun around some, ended at a ditch, after which their mom drove 35 mph the rest of the way home. They got in at 4 am. Sounds like they are having a pretty quiet (boring) day there today, compared to Rei's activities in Minneapolis, and I feel bad for them. They are spending the evening home alone while their mom works, and are just watching tv and entertaining themselves. They are safely arrived though, and that is what counts. Hopefully things will pick up for them and they will have a good time.

I had to laugh today as I called Justin to see if he was happy "Unk Rei" was home. When he heard my voice he said "Hi aunt Eesa! I love you Eesa! I miss you Eesa! You need come my house Eesa!" I said "Justin, it's Gram Rae" and without missing a beat he said the same thing to me, adding "You beaufool Gram" in amongst the other statements he repeated. I was so happy to talk to him! He told me about his big green Chrismas tree" and that he needed a "big red prezzent". He's talking so well! Then he had me put on speakerphone so Alexis could talk to me too as she was in the background hollering "Heyo" over and over again. I could hardly get a word in edgewise they had so much to say, and it felt good to chat with them. I miss them so! Rei was off sledding with his friends from the neighborhood and having a ball when I talked to him, and he sounded so happy. That is what I wanted for him. They are still under winter advisories with windchills in the minus 20-35 ranges and negative teens for real temps tonight, and more snow predicted as well. Glad we got him (and Patrick) new winter coats and gloves! It's gonna be hard being away from them for Christmas, but having the tree up now, and having my gifts mostly purchased has helped alot.

And now my wine glass is empty, so I guess I will refill it, and start wrapping all the gifts! I want to mail them out first thing tomorrow morning, and while there is no guarentee they will be there by Wednesday (to my mom's), I am gonna try!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't remember if I had told you about this blog. It is so cute and I wanted you to see it. http://laughingpurplegoldfish.blogspot.com/ I hope Rei enjoys the weather and his time here. We are supposed to have a heat wave next few days. I hope Christmas is warmer so Amy doesn't freeze. Merry Christmas. Thank you for your words of wisdom and that you are always there to listen. I love you and appreciate it. Deb