Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kinda disappointing...

I got a call last night from my girlfriend and she decided not to come visit for a few days after all. I understand totally her reasons for not coming, and I fully support them, but I am disappointed none-the-less. I have been really bumming the last few days because it just isn't feeling like Christmas around here, and I am really missing my "old" traditions and activities. I thought maybe having someone from home here, that I love hanging out with, would help ease the blues a bit. Oh well!

My sewing machine is still not working. I set it up to make some gifts Monday morning and it sewed well for about half an inch, then started sounding bound up somewhere, and went to black again (my understanding is there is a fail-safe switch that blows the fuse rather than frying the circuit boards). Had to wait til Tuesday to call the repair shop back, and will probably try to drop it off later today to be looked at again. "Cie le vie" (did I spell that right I wonder?) I set up "the girl's" sewing machine yesterday and started a project; it didn't turn out 100% the way I wanted it to, but it's cute. I may take out a few seams again and tweak it a bit today, but overall I like it. Considering I had to design my own pattern for it, I am fairly pleased with the results. I will post pics when they are all done to my satisfaction. I did finish knitting a pair of mittens for a six year old: one of the wives from the bowling alley had asked if I would make some "purple mittens" for her six year old daughter, as they had been looking for some but couldn't find any. I got some lovely lavender wool ("super wash!") and made them up in about four and a half hours. The woman recently had some major surgery and I just felt like it was the least I could do to make life easier for her! They turned out adorable, and I have yarn to make 2 more pairs for a few other little kids I know at the bowling alley (maybe Christmas gifts, maybe just because gifts--depends on when I get them finished!).

We don't have the tree up yet, and the only decorations on the front of the house are the the snowman I put on the tea table under the "porch" awning, and the winter cardinal's flag I put out under the mailbox. I'm hoping we can do the tree either today or tomorrow while Eric is off, as I would like it up before the younger kids all travel to points north. Rei is very excited to be headed to MN on Saturday; unfortunately, Aurora and Patrick are less excited by their trip. Eric's ex is taking him to court on the 23rd to see if she can keep the kids for their full 2 weeks of winter break, something they are not wanting to have happen. It's sad, and although I understand from a mother's perspective the desire to spend the holidays with one's children (this is my first holiday away from my kids and family), I think it is also important to hear what the kids want too, and to put their needs first. Another reason it's not really feeling like Christmas yet. I admit, I've done some mourning the last few days, but Eric is fantastic, and he understands. I know it's gonna feel better as things start coming together as they are meant to.

My father-in-law came through his surgery well. He is healing up, and other than the incision pain, seems to be moving/feeling better (at least that is what Eric has said to me). I'm so grateful, and I hope this will enhance his ability to do what he enjoys again. I know when my dad's back was sore, he was miserable, especially because it limited what he could do! Betty too remains home and is taking things slowly. Sadly she is mostly house-bound, especially because of the weather and the risk of her catching something given her low immunity to anything, but her family is more than happy to help out and I keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

I am amazed at how icy things get down here: we are generally too far south for lots of snow, although there is a dusting on the ground, but we get rain and freezing rain instead, and yuck! I would rather drive on snow than ice any day! Definitely takes some getting used to! Anyhow, that's the news from around here as of this morning. Time to get back to the sewing machine and finish up those gifts!

No comments: