Monday, May 3, 2010

What a beautiful May morning!

It is a gorgeous day today after a weekend of rain and threatening storms (including a tornado cloud/rotation that passed overhead on Friday night!).  The weekend was filled with activities for the kids--awards at bowling on Saturday morning (Aurora got a scholarship, Patrick got a trophy for their team winning something, and all got medals for participation).  I worked all weekend (again!) and Patrick went to Prom Saturday night.  Sunday Patrick worked the morning/all day shift, Eric had a bowling tournament to go to (roll off for first place with his tuesday league), and Brie too was at drill all weekend.  Everyone had something on the agenda, whether it was entertainment or scheduled activities!  I am glad I have this week off to recouperate!  This is, of course, Eric's hell week again (works Mon-Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun., with classes Mon, Tues, and Fri nights...) so it's a good thing I am off all week during the weekdays. 

The sun is shining today though, I woke up energized and ready for the day at 6:45, and I am enjoying the sunshine, blue skies, and fresh air.  Have lots I want to accomplish today!  Really, I don't have a lot I want to write about.  Nothing is really bugging me to vent over, I have accomplished some things I wanted to finish up (my two-at-a-time socks are knitted, and turned out well, and I finished the shawl out of baby alpaca wool; pics will follow in the next few days); I am plugging away at finishing up some projects that I have had in progress for varying degrees of time (I think my cross stitch of Lady of Shallott is the longest running one, at about 6 years or so), as well as the quilt I want to finish, and a pair of socks I started in a class I was teaching (one is almost done, then I need to make the second one).  As long as I have the time to do it, I want to get them done!

Eric and I put in a new water softening system on Friday.  We had registered for a free drawing for a new (deluxe) washer and dryer, and as a part of that, Home Depot contacted us about having a free water testing done and we had that Thursday night.  I really hadn't planned on buying anything, but we were impressed with some of what we saw, enough so that Eric decided we needed to do it (not that I disagreed--I just worry about money).  They installed it friday, and now that the pipes and hot water tank have cleared of the "old water", we do see/feel a difference in how things work.  The biggest change is getting used to the silky feeling of lotiony skin after bathing/showering because the impurities have been removed.  The water tastes a bit different too.  It is supposedly cleaner, and I honestly have to say it tastes different from how it tasted before.  I agree it tasted better in a side by side taste test with our old water, but it will take some getting used to.  As a part of our package we got a 6 year subscription to a soap/cleaning products service where we get free products that are "greener" than what we buy in the store.  They are concentrated/just add water things, and we will try them out.  So far I am pretty impressed, although we are committed to using up what we have on hand before fully switching over.  They brought us a one year supply of products when they put in the system, and then we can order more things online as we need them (with a goal of using up all our credits by the time 6 years run out...  We may have cleaning supplies in concentrated form for the next 25 years once the kids move out!) 

Brie is taking off shortly to go meet up with a friend who lives about an hour away.  I have to admit, I am looking forward to having the house to myself for a few hours, at least til the other kids get home!  As much as I love being a part of an active, boisterous family, there are times I miss being alone and just "doing my thing".  As my mother says frequently, I got to be very independent in my single life, and I miss that sometimes.  So, I guess it is time to move on to phase three of my day: cleaning the litter box, vaccuuming my upstairs, and finishing up Brie's laundry so I can work out my own!

No comments: