Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mid-week review

So my first week of my spring break was busy but productive. I got the quilt top done for the silent auction, and yesterday I got the signed back back from the marching band. Now I just need to sandwich it all together with the batting, quilt it on my machine, and bind it off. I guess the kids (and the director) really liked it, so I am pleased. I hope it raises a goodly amount of money for the trip.

I have lost another pound, for a total of 7 so far. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't more, but I have to give myself credit for continuing to lose steadily at a healthy rate.  Despite my wish for magical numbers, I know that slow and steady is healthier for me, and easier to keep off. I am still struggling with planning dinner menus, because the kids haven't been terribly thrilled with a lot of what I have been making for the most part (although as Eric has pointed out, meals get made and if they don't like it, they can fend for themselves). I just struggle to figure out what to make each evening that is within the point values and still is tasty.  I will give WWs credit: they do have some tasty recipies. It's just planning ahead to be sure all the ingredients are on hand. I don't mind cooking; I just hate the planning that goes into it sometimes.

Tonight is the visitation for June, and Liisa, Tony, Jesse, Jim, and the little ones will be going to pay their respects to the family. My heart is there with them. It's gonna be a hard night for the family, and my prayers are with them. I hope all goes well tonight. There had been some strain between Liisa and June's daughter (and another girlfriend too), so she is a bit apprehensive about going, and yet she feels in her heart it's the right thing to do, and I agree. Liisa wrote the most beautiful note to her friend and I hope it helps with healing process.

I have had a couple of charming visits with my Mpls grandbabies over the past few days, including being serenaded with multiple rounds of "Mary had a little lamb" this morning. I am also enjoying baby Skye of late. She is so responsive and loving! She reaches to be picked up, she shows a preference for various people, and she "sings" and babbles so nicely. When she is in the jump-up, she launches herself up and down with vigor, and squeals with delight. She loves going for walks in her stroller, and smiles broadly at everyone we pass. She is such a wonderful baby!

Eric is working his short week this week, and has his longer one next week.  We are really looking forward to his parents coming next week for a visit, and his brother and wife are coming as well. It will be fantastic to see them all again. I miss them too when it's been awhile between visits! They are all coming into town to celebrate Grandma Hap's 101st birthday. We owe her a visit as well, as she enjoys seeing the baby. His first week back in class has gone ok. One class is a repeat, to make up for one he failed. Hopefully it will go better this time around! I always felt like repeating a class was easier because some of the work has already been done once.

The kids are doing ok, although we have strep here. Patrick got sick first, and when he got his throat culture, he mis-read the antibiotic label and only took his med once a day. He has since realized his mistake and is taking it better now. Then, Rei got a bad sore throat, and when I took him in his test results were inconclusive, so they decided to treat it anyway. Now Brie is having a sore thoat and congestion, although she went to work today despite trying to call off. I hope she goes and gets a throat culture too, because I would hate for the baby to get sick too. Aurora is also hoping to NOT get sick as well, so we are all using lots of handwashing and staying away from the sickies. Patrick has been told he can't go back to work til he is done with his meds because he had been working while sick and they didn't approve. Brie tried to call off today but wasn't able to because they were short staffed. My hope is that she is careful because strep and food-service sure don't go well together.

I am hoping the weather starts to improve soon. We got almost 6 inches of snow early this week after a weekend in the 80's and my rose bushes are branching out, the lilacs have buds on them, and the forsythia is in full flower. I am concerned about the cold hurting them. They were talking about freezing last night, and although it did get to 32 (I believe), when I walked the yard today everything looked good still. Spring needs to come faster!  I am so tired of grey skies and gloom!

No comments: