Thursday, October 4, 2012

2 posts in 1 week!

I saw the eye surgeon today and am pleased to share that I have 20/20 vision now, albeit with a slight astigmatism still in my right eye.  That is what is causing the "ghosting" of the images I see (especially script).  This may or may not resolve itself over time as healing continues and my brain acclimates to the new signals it is receiving.  He pointed out that if needed we can probably correct that with a bit of lasiks, but not for at least 3 months.  I am fine with that, and generally can do the things I want/need to do without issue.  He also said midrange vision is generally the last to come back to clear, so that too may just be a part of the healing process.

I am quite excited: this weekend I am attending a machine embroidery event at the shop where I bought my machines from.  This will feature new designs and offerrings from a design company, along with making some items, free gifts, and door prizes, along with meals and snacks.  It is both Saturday and Sunday from 8-5.  I am psyched!  I will be having Skye 2 weekends this month, once for drill, and once because Brie is running in an Army 10K in Maryland (?) the end of the month, but this coming weekend is my own (Eric even works!) so I am looking forward to some fun, conversations, knowledge, and improved skill-sets!  I have never been to one of these before, so it will be something new for me to do.

Next weekend we are considering a trip to IN, taking Skye with us (because we'll have her), to go see Aurora's college bowling tournament, then visiting Eric's family up there.  I am not sure why, but I have been dreaming a lot about my in-laws and while I remember very few of the dreams, I wake up with them on my heart.  Given I really enjoy being with both of them, I am hoping this trip comes to fruitition.  Then I am looking at another quick roadtrip to FL to help Patrick take care of some outstanding business he needs to address.  Should be 2 travel days with a day there in between to take care of things.  After than things should start to normalize around here!

For those who follow my needlecraft projects, I have completed the applique on the final border of my Baltimore Album Quilt, a top I have been doing by hand for almost 20 years now.  I just need to miter the final 2 borders, and applique on the corner motif, then I can sew them to the quilt top, finally completing it so I can then hand quilt it.  It is so exciting to see the next phase of it coming to fruition, and my hope is that I can quilt it over the course of next year, finishing it exactly 20 years after it was started (more or less anyway).  I have also been working diligently on two cross-stitched projects that have been in the works for awhile: my Lady of Shalott is being backstitched and beaded (the border is labor-intensive), and a sampler called "How does your garden grow," which is made up of specialty stitches, beading, and cross-stitching.  I have two knitting projects going right now: my Evenstar Shawl, which I have almost completed chart 3 of, so it is about 3/4 completed; and an Estonian lace stole done in 50/50 merino wool and silk, which is my "simpler" project.  I have a couple of other things I pick up and work on in varying places of completion, but those are the priority.  I really wish my cell phone camera took better pictures because I could post photos of my progress on these things.  I will just have to get out my real camera and then I can do so.  I have been alternating between types of projects because they work my vision in different ways: some projects have finer details than others to be on top of, some have charts, graphs, or written instructions to follow, and all require varying levels of focus/attention to detail that help strengthen my eye muscles and vision (a nice side benefit AND justification for doing things I love--it's ohysical therapy and I am following Doctor's orders!)

Patrick is thrilled that he may have found a job already at a local restaurant across the street from the high school.  He had an interview yesterday that went well, and he is cautiously optomistic.  No nibbles for Rei or Dan yet though. Aurora has this weekend off from bowling, then has tournaments the next 6 weekends.  I believe she said her team came in 2nd overall in the standings after last weekend's tournament, and she is quite pleased.  She placed 4th individually, which also made her happy (was 2nd after the first shift finished, and only dropped to 4th). 

Eric and I went to the Strange Folk Festival on Sunday and had a fun time.  I was disappointed the variety of crafters wasn't as large as it has been in years past, but many of my favorite vendors were there, as were the alpacas (sooooo cute!!!!) and the Southern IL Artisan's Guild.  I was given an opportunity to spin on a spinning wheel using an alpaca wool blend batt (I hope I didn't mess it up too dreadfully for the lovely lady who let me try), and I got many questions answered that I had floating around in my head regarding techniques and materials.  I bought a second spindle, some fun yarn I was fondling ("super ego" is the brand!), and received some much needed coaching/tuteledge from some drop spindle spinners.  I came home with my treasures (including a hank of practice fiber) and feel like I have really fine tuned my technique--I think I can now call myself a novice spinner vs. an aspiring one.

Anyhow, that is the updates for today on me (primarily) and my household.  Hopefully I will be back sooner than another month : )

No comments: