Monday, October 1, 2012

September recapped...

Somehow the entire month got away from me with only one blog post...  I know some of it is due to the challenges I am still dealing with as my eyes heal, learn to function together, and reconnect with my brain in a meaningful way; none-the-less, I tend to limit my time on all screens except for my Nook: for whatever reason, the e-ink they use, the pale grey background, and the ability to change font size has made reading on that both easy and soothing!

My eyes are healing, and while I was very impressed with my post surgery vision in my left eye, for whatever reason (possibly the swelling going down) things have changed again and are not completely as clear (my eyes seem more balanced, but not quite in synch with each other).  I see the surgeon on Thursday morning, so I will ask my questions and follow up then.  Overall though I feel I am doing amazingly well and am quite content.

Eric and I made a round trip drive to Florida and back to pick up Patrick and bring him home.  Life down there didn't live up to what he had hoped for and he was ready to come home.  The trip down was fairly uneventful, as was the trip back, except for the GPS we were using: it was set to the fasted drive time for the trip down, but for the trip back was somehow set for "least use of freeways" and thus we were rerouted away from any sembelence of an interstate!  The drive was scenic, fairly direct, and generally comfortable, however it was also extremely looooooooooong!  The drive down was about 12 hours (plus a 3 hour nap in Alabama), while the drive back was 16 hours with only one break for dinner (we went to IHOP for a substantial meal vs fast food).  Patrick is glad to be home, and is already working to re-establish employment and re-connect with friends. 

Brie and Skye have gotten fairly well settled in Springfield, and we see Skye a few times each week, whether I babysit her during Brie's classes or not.  Skye is adapting, but does struggle a bit with leaving us when it's time to go home, because in her mind, home is still here.  Aurora is now in the swing of bowling season and she came in 4th overall (individually) in the tournament this past weekend (not sure how the team did as a whole), highest on her team.  School is also going fine for her, and she hasn't complained too much about her classes as yet :)

Rei has had a few downs at school over the past couple of weeks, but nothing he cannot bounce back from.  He just needs to get his head back in the game and rein in his attitude a bit.  Senioritis combined with girlfriend issues takes a toll on attention spans.  His grades are doing well still, which is nice to see.  Not much new or exciting is going in with the Minneapolis kids--life continues apace for both Liisa and Tony's households. 

Eric switched back to day shifts as of today which will let all of us get back onto a somewhat more "normal" schedule.  I am needing to look at ways to pass my time now as my eyes heal.  I am focusing on the household and "clutter" right now, as well as looking at what my options are for internships and/or employment, including the transportation issue.  Eric and I are brainstorming! 

I am fairly sure there is stuff I am leaving out, but those are the highlights for now. 

No comments: