Saturday, October 20, 2012

Back from my travels!

It's been a busy week!  I am safely home from trips to Indiana and Florida, both of which were successful in their various agendas.  I am worn out though, and have a bit of a sore throat (changing weather/allergies I am assuming). My mental drive to be productive is not keeping pace with my physical lethargy these last couple of days and I am not sure if that is an indication that I need more coffee, or need to just rest and relax a couple of days.  The grey, gloomy skies don't help, and as Eric pointed out this morning on the phone, the day seems to drag when there are no obvious indicators of time's passage.  I told him I was gonna come home, turn on every light I could find, and even light a few candles just to erase the gloom!  He laughed at me.

I try not to get too political or hyper religious on my blog, but it is MY blog, and I read something today that really spoke to my heart.  It was a link posted on facebook to an opinion piece that had been published in the St. Paul MN paper:  http://blogs.twincities.com/outofbounds/  This post, written about the Catholic Church's response to gays and the gay marriage initiative was spot on, in my opinion, and really reflects how I was brought up to view faith and my relationship with God. It is the same argument I used in talking to the Mo Synod Lutheran minister (who pushed my children and I away from the community church we attended because of his closed-minded, narrow attitudes) as to why I struggled with his teachings and hoped for less judgment and more tolerance; his response to me was that my "secular education had obscured my Christian upbringing" (or words to that effect).  Although it focuses on the Catholic church, it addresses the conflicts found in many faith groups.  Please, let me know what you think related to this!

Aurora is in Peoria this weekend at another college tournament, and Brie has taken her boyfriend and Skye to go cheer the team on.  Brie decided against running the Army 10 mile she had registered for (was to happen this weekend) when the people she had planned to go with bailed out, (along with not being as well-trained for it as she should have been).  Probably for the best, although I know she is disappointed.  Eric is working all weekend, and the boys too have their plans, so I am basically on my own, and I love it!  Just wish I could find my missing motivation to get things done... We have a red cross pickup on the 26th (clothing and household items drive) and I need to get a bag together for that.  I have many things I love but can't justify keeping because I just don't wear them.  I prefer giving them away where I know they will be used than just taking up space in a closet or dresser drawer.  Now to actually pack them up....

The October birthday celebrations continue.  I feel bad I haven't mailed out any cards, but I have tried to at least call, send emails, or do facebook messages to let people know I haven't forgotten them.  I also mailed out the shawl I made for my friend Erika today, as well as a package to Justin and Alexis of socks, underwear, and shorts they had left here in August (along with a treat of sorts).  I am grateful Aurora rode with a friend so I have a vehicle at my disposal for the weekend--helps to not feel stuck at home when there are things to do and places to be gone to! Besides the post office I took in the Fall Festival on Main Stree today (crafts, a chili cook-off, a car show, etc.) and the Arts and Crafts show at the high school.  I sometimes wish I had unlimited funds for some of the things I see and like.  There were some things I know I could make (or make better) that were for sale, while other things had me drooling with desire or shaking my head with "what were they thinking".  An altogether pleasant way to spend a gloomy Saturday morning!

Now though, I really need to find something to eat (coffee is delicious, but not terribly filling), and find the next item on my to-do list...  Or maybe I will just play some Everquest!




No comments: