Sunday, August 14, 2016

Rainy end to a productive 4 days off...

The weather the last two days has mostly sucked. Rain rain and more rain. Yesterday I stayed in and got lots of chores done I have wanted to tackle for awhile. There is still more to do, but I have expanded the open space in my bedroom, which makes me happy, and I have kept up on my main floor not being a disaster area. Today though my sinuses and allergies said I did enough. My body is achy and my head is congested.  As the weather clears and the dust and dander settle from cleaning it will feel better I hope.

I am 31 rows from finishing the Reyna shawl, and I embroidered 4 more blocks on the dragon/fantasy quilt. I was just playing with the layout with the 13 blocks done so far. 
I have two more of the black creatures to do, then I have 6 blocks in white on black to embroider. I also have a few more random dragons to do. I am leaning towards a 4x6 layout, but it really depends on how I feel after I finish up the remaining blocks. I can always add more. I will be squaring these ones up so, and perhaps adding in borders and other design elements. It's a work in progress for my honey (and me). Today's primary job was running to Joann's and to Jackmans to get more thread, stabilizer, needles, and outdoor fabric to recover my swing.  

As you may have guessed, the torn seat is my favorite side to sit, and my handwork goes on the left seat. The swing itself we have had for 8 years now. I bought it on clearance at Target shortly after the wedding, and we lost the canopy on it the first summer following from the winds. It. Is well. Used and loved. I bought some duck canvas to reinforce the seat area, and some outdoor fabric (weather treated, sun resistant) to make a sling like slip cover for over the entire swing. It's harder to describe than to actually do. The frame is still in good shape, but the type of seating on it is a challenge to replace, so I am going to make an attempt to see if I can save it with new fabric... Wish me luck! I'll take pictures when it's done, but it'll have to quit raining first so I can get the measurements right!

Back to work tomorrow... School is resuming in St. Louis city this coming week which means child protection reports will pick up. I have been a part of a workforce/implementation team for a new system of investigation and assessment protocols we started using back in May and now I am looking to help be a trainer in them as a front line worker when we expand it to the surrounding counties. Never a dull moment... Okay not completely true, but I try to stay busy. 

Eric is calling to let me know he's headed home from work, so I guess I'll end my update here.

Let's have a great week!

No comments: