Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Disappointment...

Eric came home from work last night and took me to the base Arts and Crafts Show (and reception). We got there later (around 7:10) and it was almost over, but I couldn't get there any earlier as Eric had our only running vehicle and he had to work.  The person who was handing out programs didn't give me my name tag (I had to go find it), and the food was mostly gone; most disappointing though, was that neither of my entries won any thing.  I think they were comparable to anything entered, and at least this year, those that won ribbons and honorable mentions were for the most part "worthy" of them (in my opinion), although the 2nd place winner was too avant garde for my tastes.  The blue ribbon went to a memory quilt that had family heirlooms tacked on to it, and the third place winner was a paper-pieced framed nativity scene; one honorable mention was a cross stitched piece from a photograph (last year all the winners were of this genre), and the other was a second machine appliqued/quilted art piece.  Otherwise neither stitchery, knitting, nor weaving got any recognition.  Now I realize that they have to have broad categories because if it is too narrow they won't have many entries, or they will be giving out too many awards, but still...  It is hard to know what the judging criteria is when you are going up against so many others of different genres and techniques.  Eric mentioned that his impression this year is that all the winners were "BIG" in scale.  If it was smaller/smallish, it was like it didn't even register on the radar. 

So I was disappointed that I didn't win anything, despite entering some very good work, and I am left to wonder what exactly the judges are looking for in making their determinations.  In the few times I have entered things in the past, at least there is a score card of sorts that the judges list their comments and feedback on; I would have appreciated that.  And I was also disappointed that my pieces were hung low on the walls, so they were harder to see, and it looked to me like my Advent Kalendar Winter Scene had been folded in half--it had a clear crease in the middle of it--and I had ironed it to a crisp flatness before I entered it.  That made me a little sad too, and even Eric noticed it.  Maybe I am putting too much stock in entering things through this, and need to consider doing more along the lines of the county or state fair level... 

I still have not heard back yet from Restoff's.  I brought my van to them on Thursday after work (as when I got to work the whole front end was steaming, and I had poured a half gallon of antifreeze into it before heading to work); I put almost another half gallon of antifreeze in before heading to the shop, and they said my heater hose was leaking badly...  They also suggested that I change out my other hoses to the radiator as they all looked rough and were still original to the vehicle, so we agreed to do that as well.  They said they would call us first thing Monday morning when it was done; it's now Tuesday and I still haven't heard from them.  I guess I will need to call them this morning.  Regardless, we cannot pick it up until tomorrow anyhow, because I have no way to get there while it is open, but Eric is off tomorrow (after school).

Eric and I are a little disappointed with Brie too.  She went out on Saturday night with Reimond and a friend and got a new tattoo, right along the side of her neck, just behind her left ear.  The tattoo itself is not bad looking, but where it sits is very obvious.  She designed it herself, and is quite proud of it.  The catch is, she didn't tell us she was going to get it before she left (although the kids knew, and I suspected, especially after Rei started pushing me about wanting to get his lip pierced).  She has not been back to work as yet, although she did do national guard drill on Saturday (and reported in by phone on Sunday, so she'd get credit for "attendance"--they had no work to do on Sunday), nor has she paid any of her bills.  She says her friend paid for the tattoo for her, and that is why she got it.  I must be getting old, because I just don't see the appeal of it, and in my experience, tattoos on necks or hands tend to be gang-related, not for decoration... 

I am disappointed in myself as well.  I have a list of things I need to be accomplishing about a mile long, and I am no where near the beginning of it, let alone close to finishing it.  Lately I have started one thing, only to be caught up in another, or short of things to complete the third...  You know how it goes!  I had so much I wanted to get done though on these past few days off of mine (Monday thru Wednesday), and with Eric working yesterday and today, it seemed ideal to be crossing stuff off...  GGRrrrrr!  Maybe today will be more productive, and I still have tomorrow as well (I work Thursday thru Saturday).

On a positive note, Eric and I did have a nice weekend.  We went out to dinner, just the two of us, to Olive Garden on Saturday night (Aurora was at the homecoming dance, Patrick was working, and Rei and Brie were out with her friend).  We enjoyed a nice bottle of Reisling wine, and I absolutely love the Shrimp Messaluna (half moon style raviolies filled with a mix of 4 cheeses, in a creamy wine sauce).  It was sooooo yummy!  We also had the requisite salad and bread sticks, and we ordered Bruchetta for an appetizer (again, so very tasty!).  Sunday I enjoyed watching what I could of the Viking's game on TV (network no less!), and am so pleased we are 6-0...  It was a close one on Sunday from what I understand, and Eric claims I jinxed them by bragging too early about the huge lead we had as I left for work...  Oh well, they still won.

Time to start in on my list for the day.  I hope to be more productive than yesterday, so that I can start my next entry with "Success" instead of  "Disappointment"...

No comments: