Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Just a quick one for now...

I am just posting a quick one so people know I have not fallen off the face of the earth.  The past two weeks have been really busy around here, and I haven't really had time to get my thoughts in order, or pics posted onto the laptop.  I will be making that a priority over the coming week.

To recap the past two weeks: I had the rush to do laundry and chores in prep for my and Rei's trip to MN for my high school reunion.  Then Rei and I made the 10 hour drive to Mpls in 9.5 hours (all to get to my hair appointment with my sister, scheduled for 4:30 and I arrived at 5 p.m.). Then it was out with Liisa and Amber to hear a band for the later evening. Friday was errands and then the happy hour meet and greet for the reunion; Saturday was running some errands, spending time with the kids and grandkids, then getting ready for the main event at the Radisson Hotel at the U of M campus, and I had a wonderful time there with Liisa.  Sunday I elected to forego the picinic at Upper Lake Harriet for the reunion, and instead enjoyed a quiet morning with my mom. Sunday afternoon the kids, grandkids, and misc. family all came to my mom's for a spagetti dinner and ice cream cake. It was loud, chaotic, and fun, until Justin took a header into the cement step and knocked out a tooth and loosened two more.  Tony and I took him to Children's while Andrea took Alexis and Rei home. Justin ended up being just fine--bloody, bruised, and toothless--and his second tooth may fall on it's own in the coming week. If it doesn't, the dentist will pull it.  A third tooth was loose, but is fine. He also got a major gash in his inner lip that needs to heal on its own, so he was on a soft/liquid diet for a few days. He loved it that the tooth was found at Grandma Sylvia's house, and that the tooth fairy visited me (who had temporary custody of the tooth) before finding it at his house later in the week, and he is healing nicely, albeit looking like a prize fighter...

That Monday we went to breakfast with my sister, then back to her house for a haircut for Rei. I really don't remember what I did the rest of the day--mostly just vegged out I think.  I was able to spend a few hours with Erika at her house, and I also had a wonderful evening with Jill in there, so I did see friends as well as family. Tuesday Rei and I made the 10 hour drive home in 9.25 hours.  Not sure why it went so fast, but traffic was light and we made good time. Wednesday I made the trip to Anderson IN to take Aurora to her bowling camp. That made for a really long day and night--5+ hours each way. Thursday and Friday were days to catch up on things (oh, and I worked a whole 1.5 hours on Thursday), then Saturday Eric and I drove back to IN to get Aurora and see his folks. It was nice to break up the drive with a stay in a hotel room (thanks Liisa!) and it was even lovelier to see my in-laws.  I am so blessed with what wonderful people they are! And attended Aurora's tournament, brunch, and the long drive back home on Sunday.

Yesterday I went with Brie to the OB--her and Skye are doing fine, although Skye was NOT happy to have her heart listened to and kept moving away from the sensor...  Then I took Rei to the clinic where they diagnosed him with a wicked case of strep (he had a 103.4 degree fever in the clinic office: they gave him motrin and a shot to get the jump on the infection). He had been sick since Friday, and Brie took good care of him. During this time I made 4 trips on base: two for gas (Brie's car, then mine), one to the commisary for WIC stuff, and one to the pharmacy for Rei's antibiotic... I was glad to finally sit once I got home!

Eric is on overnights this week, and it's his long week, so he is napping here beside me while I type; I gave notice today at work, because with all that is looming in August, I am gonna be needed here at home and it's gonna be too hard to try and work around an unpredictable schedule. I have mixed feelings about it.  I loved the fabrics, the discount, and many of my co-workers, but I disliked so many of the particulars that come with working in retail. I also dreaded giving up most of my weekends for working, and I really hated missing out on family stuff because invariably I worked on Eric's rare days off.  We discovered that he makes in one overtime shift what I generally contributed working over the month. We will need to cut back on some things because I won't be providing that little extra cushion right now, but the loss of headaches maybe worth it.  My goal is to focus on getting the kids ready for school (Rei and Aurora), helping Brie with getting ready for the baby (doctor's appts, planning the shower, birthing classes, and organizing what we still need for basic supplies...), and getting set up in an internship. I have started sewing on my "professional" wardrobe, and I will be making a concerted effort to go visit potential sites.  Something Eric said to me when we were eating at Perkins really hit home with me, and it's time to conquer my fear of the unknown and start walking the walk with confidence.  I am committed to trying anyhow.

So tonight is week three of birthing classes; Brie is on track for her due date, and has started having some random Braxton-Hicks contractions. Things are progressing. Patrick has started working longer hours at work--and will hopefully have more hours, given he has nothing else on his agenda other than working for the time-being...  Aurora started Band Camp on Monday and has that for the next two weeks.  Then school starts, and the baby is due...  Life remains complicated and overly full.  I have laid down the law with Rei about school and stuff--he is truly headed into the pseudo-adult trials of wanting to be independent but not having the maturity to make adult decisions at times and he is trying my patience on a regular basis... 

So, for a quick update, I guess I wrote a novel, but there you have it--I generally ramble.  Anyhow, pics are forthcoming, as is more detail on some things.  But in a nutshell, life remains chaotic and busy!  I will be around though!

No comments: