Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Not much going on... A nice change!

I am having a lazy morning for the nonce.  Eric is at work today, then school tonight; sleep, eat breakfast and repeat tomorrow...  I have a few chores to get done in preparation for my company on Thursday (Eric's mom is coming to visit a couple of days and I am so happy to see her!).  Have a doctor's appointment on my own today for a med recheck.  I wonder if I can convince her to raise my synthroid up a notch again? (A girl can dream--when they lowered it I gained 40 lbs that won't go away).  Rei and Patrick are struggling through their last few days of summer school.  Brie is home (came home yesterday) and is sleeping.  Her assignment, whether she wants to accept it or not, is to clean her room and get ready for the baby's arrival.  Her apathy about getting ready is foreign to me.  When I was pregnant with each of my kids, I had things ready months in advance!  I thought it was so fun to get everything together and organized...  I just don't understand.

Aurora will be home on Sunday (Eric is picking her up).  She is bored at her mother's house, from what I understand.  She spends most days home alone until dinnertime, then it's family for a few hours, bed, and back to being on her own.  Doesn't sound a whole lot different from what she does here, but here she has the other kids, friends, etc. and freedom to go places. 

I feel like I am sitting in limbo at the moment.  The lull between the storms.  I am getting ready to go to my reunion, and I feel a funny sense of excitement about it.  High school was horrid for me for the most part.  I was bullied a lot, I had few close friends (and they were all a year or better older than me); I struggled with depression that was untreated until my junior year, and I was "different" from many.  I was bookish, I did needlework, I got good grades, I was reserved, and I didn't dress fashionably (my mom had strict ideas about what was and wasn't appropriate).  Looking at some of the pictures on facebook, I have aged better than a lot of my classmates, about the same as others, and we have all done our share of growing up.  I am curious to see how some people have changed, I am interested in hearing some of their stories, and renewing a few acquaintances.  I was never a part of any "in" crowd, and I would never want to relive those days, but I do have a few good memories of some of the things I did, and of a few of the people I knew in my classes.  I am going mostly out of curiosity and to perhaps show that I did make something of myself, that I am not just an "odd duck" (I was voted "most unique" female in my graduating class, and I am not sure that it was meant as an honor...  Still don't know for sure.)  I have an appointment with my sister to get a touch up on my hair before I attend the festivities, and I am REALLY looking forward to seeing some of my friends while I am there--true friends, people I adore, people who I have grown, changed, and experienced life with.  Like Debbie, Erika, Jill, Ann, and of course, my family.  This is gonna be an interesting trip down memory lane!

I still don't have anything set up on the internship front.  I know I need to be more diligent, but Eric and I had a long conversation about what is holding me back from being more proactive, and I know that I need to just do it.  I also need to get sewing on my garments for that internship so I have some decent clothes to wear!  That adds to my to-do list too over the coming weeks: weeding through my dresser and wardrobe of outdated things.  I was laughing last night that the modest nightgown I put on I purchased 16 years ago, to wear at the hospital for visitors when Rei was born!  I (unfortunately) still have many things that fall into some of those headings--stuff I have had/worn forever, that is no longer attractive, in style, or appropriate, but is familiar, comfortable, and well-worn.  Some things I held on to for sentimental reasons, but honestly, all they do is take up space and it is time to get rid of them.  

Eric is on the phone, so I guess it's time to devote attention to him...  Perhaps I will write more later!

No comments: