Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Just a quick note...

to free up my brain cells before I return to the world of non-suicidal self-injurious behaviors (NSSI for short) in adolescents, the theme of my final project.  Research in this subject has come a long way since I first looked into it about 5 to 8 years ago.

We got the van fixed, to the tune of $139. Eric was not thrilled with the cost, but given he couldn't get the broken hose off, and it was moving the heater core in the process, he felt it was better to have a pro do it, and I agree. It is back on the road now, and I have begged and pleaded that it be driven gently, with an eye on the thermostat (because the hose that was broken had dry-rotted and cracked from age; there may be others that will fail with one new one on).  I have my fingers crossed.

I still have a sore throat, now heading on the third day of it, and it sucks. It isn't allergies; it's more in/around my glands, and feels like lower tonsils, primarily on the left side.  I don't think it's strep as I haven't had a fever. It's just a constant ache when I swallow.  I am keeping the pain at bay with naprosyn (generic aleve), as I don't have time to indulge in being sick right now. I am on a very tight schedule this week!

The younger kids seem to be enjoying their summer break: lots of hanging out with friends and doing a lot of very little (if that makes sense--lots of hanging out, watching movies on netflix, running the roads, etc; very little chores or helping ME out...) I get help when I ask specifically for it, but it generally falls under the rubric of just enough to say it's done.  Oyvay!

Eric started his new term last night and it looks like it may be a challenging one for him. Certainly hours-wise it's gonna take a toll. Brie is off at class right now, and it looks like she's gonna have tuesdays and thursdays off for school, but then work every weekend plus monday, wednesday, and friday. Patrick has started moving his belongings out to the apartment in the middle of town. He came home for breakfast yesterday, which made me laugh, then worked on packing up more things. I do hope he is able to find a job soon, or his savings won't last too terribly long and he'll be back where he started from.  I give him credit for trying though, and support his intentions!

As much as I hate grey, gloomy days, I have to admit I am grateful for the rain and thunderstorms today. It keeps me in the house and focused rather than tempted to be outdoors doing other things. I am thrilled to report I lost 1.6 lbs this week, bringing my total loss back to 12.6 lbs, and .6 lbs represents a new loss over the initial yoyo loss between April and now.  So happy! I rode my bike last night. Didn't go terribly far, but it felt good to get on it, and I am sure, with practice, my confidence will improve (not to mention my thigh muscles--I was feelin' it!)

Ok, back to the books!  7 articles to annotate, then the two assignments for this week to write (so that I can focus on my paper the rest of the week). I CAN DO IT!!!!!

No comments: