Saturday, July 19, 2008

1800 miles later...

What a busy few days it has been! While Spike napped in preparation of our drive overnight, I took the kids to the pool for what was supposed to be a few hours. The pool is wonderful, with a great area set aside for little ones with fountains and slides and so forth. Unfortunately, they have an adults only swim that starts at 5 pm for an hour, so we only ended up having an hour to actually play there, but the water was wonderful and since the temps ranged from 96-102 degrees on the various billboard signs, it was a nice, refreshing diversion for us. We got back to the house, made dinner, and packed up the Pilot so we could head out.
It was really fun for me seeing some of the states I had never been in before, even if they were mostly in the dark! We hit the road just before 9 pm, CST, and travelled through Illinois, Kentucky (I was thrilled to discover Paducah is only about 3 hours away--American Quilt Museum and annual show, HERE I COME!!!!), Tennesee, North Carolina, and then South Carolina. We caught a glimpse of the Nashville skyline in the dark going, and in daylight coming back (it's prettier at night), and the Smokey Mountains were amazing! I took this photo just as the sun was coming up and we were driving east... Spike did most of the driving, although I took over for about an hour, only to discover I was driving through construction and the mountain roads that were quite curvey. Given I hate night driving, and I get nervous on unfamiliar roads it wasn't a good combination for me, and I was willing to give the wheel back about 4 am. We had just crossed over into North Carolina, and congratulating ourselves on having made such good time that we would arrive with an hour to spare, when low and behold, we saw flashing lights ahead of us... There, about 8 vehicles ahead of us, was a semi dumped on it side, and an assortment of rescue vehicles racing past us. Needless to say we came to a complete stop... for over 2 hours. From what we could tell there were fatalities involved (we had heard there was a woman trapped under the semi but nothing was ever moved or lifted that we saw), and sadly it looked like there were covered bodies under the cab. I tried to look up details of it but was unable to find any further information about it.

While waiting we got a call that GI Jane's mother had safely arrived so she was able to relay to her that we were NOT going to be arriving on time, despite our best efforts. We finally hit the gates of Ft Jackson about three hours after we had planned to be there, but happily met up with GI Jane and her mom. We wandered around the base because the recruits were not allowed off post, so we bowled, visited, and found fast food. We had made hotel reservations about an hour away further east from the post because everything closer had been booked solid for months, and we had travelled in two cars: us in one, and GI Jane's boyfriend and another couple, close friends of theirs, in the other, and had planned to all share a room. In talking about arrangements, it was discovered that GI Jane's mom had not made any arrangements for staying, and had actually planned to just sleep in her car, so we invited her as well to stay in our room where she would be safer and have access to full facilites. We didn't like the idea of her sleeping at a 24 hour gas station, even if it was close to post.




Sleeping arrangements were fun: we had two queen-sized beds and a pull-out sofa in the room, and the air mattress that was supposed to come with had been forgotten; we ended up with three on the floor, including Bingo, who decided to start his night sleeping in the closet... The kids enjoyed the pool and hot tub, and Spike and I stole about 20 minutes of quiet in the outdoor patio beside the pool room. We had 9 people sharing very close quarters and we all needed a little space by that point!

The next morning we split groups between showering, getting breakfast, and packing up the three vehicles, a effort worthy of military precision at 6 am! We drove the 70 miles back to the post, joining many others who also were arriving for graduation, and it took some patience to get in and get parked. Fortunately we made it with a little bit of time to spare, and we found seats high up in the bleachers. The ceremony itself was lovely--a whole lot bigger than the one my GI Joe had had at Ft Knox, but then there were many more graduating too. I admit, I was tearful at points: the pagentry, the pride, the patriotism... Bingo made a point of teasing me about it, but I admit it, I was proud and proud to be there! Afterwards, we found our recruit, and took pictures to commemorate the event. It was important to me that there be pictures of "our" girl with her parents and her family, so I mostly acted as camerawoman, although I did get to be in one as well--just wish it were more flattering of me!


We then spent a bit of time collecting her belongings so she had them loaded, got a couple of needed items at the PX, and headed back for home--another 800 mile drive... We again were in three cars: us, GI Jane and co. in her friend's car, and her mom, headed in another direction. We left post around 11 am CST, and drove and drove and drove... The daytime scenery was stunning: these are a couple of photos of the mountains during daylight.









These were all on I-40 through North Carolina and Tennessee. We arrived safely back in IL just after midnight this morning, tired and glad to be home. I can honestly say we had some moments of stress, but overall we weathered things well and it was a valuable trip and experience, one I will treasure having been included in. Bingo and I are finding our way, and while I know there are things that take time to figure out, it has been a great week. We have this weekend to rest and catch up on sleep a little, then we are headed back to MN on Monday. I figured out that by the time we reach Minneapolis, Bingo and I will have travelled over 4000 miles in a weeks time... Wow!

No comments: