Monday, July 21, 2008

Heading back to Minneapolis for the last time...

and I will be glad I think to see the end of the road for a few weeks, even with all that is going to be going on back home.

We kept Saturday and Sunday fairly low-key. Saturday we went to the mall and Spike and I bought our wedding bands, simple white-gold circlets, and his girls and I shopped for dresses for the wedding. They each found something lovely, and best of all, on clearance! We then had a family dinner at "Tony's", a family style dining room here in town. The food was great, and I loved their salad and soup bar! Bingo and I took a walk when we got back and just sorta processed all that is going on--the changes, the fears, the excitement... He and I both have a lot of mixed feelings and while we are really looking forward to being here full time, it is still hard to say goodbye to all we have known and loved.

Sunday we we went to church and met all the parishoners who were at the 10 am service. That was amazing! They like the idea that I am a quilter/needlewoman and it sounds like I may be tapped for some upcoming projects once I am settled here. That would be fun to be apart of a church community again--especially one that is small, so everyone has a role. After lunch I took the three younger kids to the pool for the afternoon so Spike could study. The day was hot and sunny (high of 97) so the water felt heavenly, and we had a riot playing, splashing, and I even spent some time tanning (ok, burning, despite the sunscreen I put on--will definately have color for the wedding!) and reading. I brought a few different projects down to work on, but other than knitting a few rows on a sock, haven't done much for handwork at all. We had another early night last night as two of the kids had track practice early this morning (Bingo got up to go with, then decided he was too tired and went back to bed) and Spike had class. I am just sitting here eating a little breakfast and contemplating the drive back. I plan to be on the road in about a half hour.

I was going to drive Spike's CRX back to Minneapolis, but I chickened out. It needs brakes, although not desperately, but it is a manual, with manual steering, no working radio or cassette slot, and I have never driven it before. I am sure I could, but I dislike driving cars I am unfamiliar with on long drives. To me driving is a necessary evil, not something I do for pleasure, and I prefer the familiar to the unknown. I think (hope/pray) the van will do fine on the return trip, and besides, Spike and I were thinking we might need the room of the van over the wedding and transporting family around. I am also gonna bring the trailer back to JC so he has it, along with the straps and stuff so that it doesn't continue to grace Spike's front yard beside the garage. I am sure his neighbors will appreciate that.

Anyhow, we will be home sometime this evening, then on to packing and appointments and finalizing the move. I am tired just thinking about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Reina,

I am really enjoying your blog. Makes me feel close to you and a part of what's going on in your life. I've never heard you so sound so happy and content.

Love,
Cindy