Monday, July 14, 2008

It was packing day for the first load to go down south, and what a day it was. My Princess' Prince was amazing in all he did, loading the van and the trailer for me, and I am in awe of all we are taking--as well as overwhelmed by all that is left to still go through and pack up... I had plenty of help getting it into the vehicles, but if I am honest I am a bit nervous about driving with the trailer behind me... I have driven with a trailer exactly once in my life, to pull a tow dolly up to pick up a car and then bring it back to the city. That was in another lifetime, and it brings back bad memories to think about it.

I had to laugh though because my grandson,

J-Fizzle, thought the huge cardboard boxes were just perfect for a house, and he pulled the cover closed over himself, and proceeded to snore robustly! When we tented the top for him he liked that even better, and played house until we needed him to move so we could insert boxes of stuff... He was insistant that he was coming "comin' witchooo gram", and I surely wish he could this trip, but there is too much going on to take a little person with me. The kids finished loading the trailer up and strapping it down for me, even covering it with a tarp to prevent rain damage (although they are forecasting hot, sunny skies all the way from MN to IL for the drive). I just hope nothing blows off or falls off or gets damaged--my prized Baltimore Album Quilt is in there along with the remaining border to be appliqued, as well as my lovely TW "Lady of Shallott", which has been a work in process as well for more years than I care to count... All my needlework stuff is also packet--cross stitch stuff, knitting stuff, fabrics, patterns and magazines--my prize possessions in other words! Please God, let me drive safely and have little traffic! The Princess was stating I would look like the Beverly Hillbillies driving down there, which I probably will, and Mom is being a worry wart about my driving with the trailer. I am sure I will do fine--have made the drive so many times now I feel confident with it. I will post a pic of the loaded trailer tomorrow before we pull out. I have been told not to drive faster than 5 mph, and to brake slower than usual--I generally give myself plenty of time and space anyhow--and to turn wide. I think I can handle that--just hope the vehicles around me are understanding of a blonde woman from MN driving a trailer for the first time... Now I just need to get some sleep before we leave--oh yeah, and pack. I have the laundry done, but not in the suitcase as yet... Clothes are a necessity with multiple teens running around and travel in the offing... And makeup, and meds, and hygiene stuff, and books, and a craft project, and a video game system or 2... yeah pack... Haven't I been doing enough packing of late???!!!??

On a side note, I finished my last night at work. Many of the kids were wonderful about my leaving and took the time to talk with me personally and say goodbye, and I got many hugs. I bought 3 2-qt rubbermaid juice containers, and a glass soda bottle, and filled them with an assortment of gorgeous roses: orange, yellow, and a few red ones, and wrote notes to the admin staff, both units, and individually to each kid and the center nurse. I set the gifts for the kids by their doors for the morning, and left the bouquets on each desk, along with the note and magnet. The one for ad staff I put in the coffee lounge for everyone to see. I spend the last 40 mins I was there going over stuff with my replacement, and then he walked me out and locked the door behind me. I didn't cry although I did tear up with a couple of the kids. I am now officially done. I was really touched that one of the newest staff came and talked personally to me and thanked me for being a mentor. That meant a lot, and there were sub staff on whom I had not seen in months that it was nice to chat with one last time. Anyhow, that chapter of my life is now closed, and I feel like I left on a classy note. I am proud of myself for how I handled it, and now I am ready to move on. It is definitely time!

No comments: