Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We safely arrived!

This is the way the van looked, all loaded up, before we left on Monday morning. We were parked across the street from my house...
My daughter made the comment that we looked like the "Beverly Hillbillies" as we took off, and there were times along the way we felt that way--the breeze kept pulling up the tarp from the front driver's side and was flapping behind us, other drivers got frustrated with our being able to go no faster than 65 mph even when the speed was 70, and we needed to make frequent stops to check the straps and be sure things didn't overheat. My normal 10 hour drive took closer to 12, and I was so glad to arrive in one piece! My van did good, despite our fears for it, and JC and my GI Joe did an awesome job of strapping everything down for us. JC also patched some tire holes so we didn't need to worry about flats, GI Joe did a brake job, and they topped off all the fluids. Thanks to both of them the trip was relatively painless!

Yesterday was spent running around--getting Bingo a working phone (God Forbid he not have contact with friends!), lining up a kennel for the dogs for our two dates (today thru Saturday, and also for over the wedding), and finding a public fax machine... Then we had our premarital marriage counseling appointment. We were both laughing at some of the questions asked on the inventory (and not so surprisingly, we answered many of them in a similar manner as we recapped together last night)... Today Spike is in school while I organize the kids for our trip to SC (to go get GI Jane), and we will leave early evening--it is an 11.5 hour drive to get there, and we need to be there for 10 am Thursday; then the graduation on Friday, and a drive back to IL... As Spike's mom said in an email today, I will be happy to just settle in one place after everything is done! Then comes the fun of unpacking....














This is the way the dining room looks today... And this is the garage, after unloading last night... All from this first load. I hugged Spike after they got it all moved in and pointed out he did say he wanted me here--"lock, stock, and barrel..." Guess he got what he was asking for, cuz there is still a ton more to come: this is just the boxes from the main floor and part of the basement! I still have more boxes, clothes, and even some furniture to come down... Spike asked me if I wanted to start unpacking stuff now (meaning today) or wait til the weekend, and I said I would wait. Some of this I packed myself, and I know exactly what is what, but some of it was packed with loving care for me, and I am clueless as to what is in there--beyond knowing it has my breakables from the main floor and a few kitchen things. Oh well! I will figure it out and we will find room. And some paint--to repaint my book cases, and a sander apparently, so that Spike can refinish the table tops... He's happy--more power tools! I am asking myself if 10 days is going to be enough time to finish up, but I think it will be ok... Just got to be sure I am taking things a step at a time, and remembering to relax and ask for help. I don't have to do it all alone.

No comments: