Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Something a little different today:

My sister sent this to me, and it really hit home with me, as one of my classmates just lost her husband the day before Valentine's day.  It truly does make one stop and think about just what IS important in life, and how we need to be treating each other.  So I am posting this here, because those of you who read this are very precious to me, and I want to say thank you for "being here" with us as we walk these roads of life together.  I love you all!

TOMORROW is NEVER Promised...


One day a woman's husband died, and on that clear, cold morning, in the warmth of their bedroom, the wife was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore". No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minute." Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say good-bye, say "I love you."

So while we have it, it's best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick. This is true for marriage.....And old cars... And children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.

Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a sister-in-law after divorce. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what.

Life is important, like people we know who are special.. And so, we keep them close!

I received this from someone who thought I was a 'keeper'! Then I sent it to the people I think of in the same way... Now it's your turn to send this to all those people who are "keepers" in your life, including the person who sent it, if you feel that way. Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends know you love them?

I was thinking...I could die today, tomorrow or next week, and I wondered if I had any wounds needing to be healed, friendships that needed rekindling or three words needing to be said.

Let every one of your friends know you love them. Even if you think they don't love you back, you would be amazed at what those three little words and a smile J can do. And just in case I'm gone tomorrow….

I LOVE YA!!!

Live today because tomorrow is not promised.

I am not sure who wrote this, and I have seen it around in a few different forms, but today it had meaning for me. 

Liisa is in Virginia this week, visiting a "childhood" friend--Jesse B.  He is an air force officer, stationed in VA for the time being, but we have known him since she was 12 or 13, when he was our next door neighbor ("Bernie")'s grandson.  He had been visiting with his dad, and was sitting on the stoop by her back door, watching with interest and longing as the kids all played at my house in the back yard.  Liisa invited him over to meet everyone and see the kittens that had been born under my bed on the 4th of July, and a beautiful long-distance friendship developed.  Jesse recently had some heartache: his dad was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease, and has moved back to Minneapolis to be by family (his mom and brother); and Liisa of course, is still trying to figure out where she is at now that her and Jesse C. are no longer a couple.  So they are spending some time together, supporting each other, and it is so neat to see.  Their friendship has lasted for at least 12 years (and I am thinking closer to 13), and they have always stayed in touch with each other.  That has been the story of their friendship--they have been there for each other through thick and thin. (For those of you who remember, she flew to Seattle for his senior prom, and she flew to Colorado Springs for his Ring Dance at the air force academy; each time he was between girlfriends and she too was single, so she went with him to those events).  Good friends are a blessing!

Brie has to run back to the lab today for a follow up--she had some sugar in her urine, so they want to do a few more tests before her appointment tomorrow.  I am off, so I will go with her to the clinic.  Eric had a mishap in the pilot on Sunday night coming home in the bad weather.  He was turning onto the entrance ramp and the car slid into a curb, hitting it hard enough that it knocked the alignment out.  We took it in to the dealership yesterday and they said that he did more than knock the alignment out--the tire itself was ONLY attached to the vehicle by a cotter pin...  Wow.  He drove home 30 miles, on the freeway on that, AND he drove the freeway to get it to the dealership (with me following in the van).  The mechanic said he wouldn't allow us to take it to drive on and suggested we contact our insurance company; we did so and they are sending an adjuster out to look at it today.  Man!  Always something!  We did complete the paperwork to get the house refinanced yesterday as well, and that is a relief.  If everything goes as it appears to, we should be halving our interest rate and that will be wonderful! Every bit of savings helps!

Rei got to take his girlfriend to the movies yesterday for a belated Valentine's date; I had pulled the plug on driving them Sunday because of the weather, but then her parents said they would drive.  Once they got on the road though, they too changed their minds, so they had to postpone their date til yesterday.  Her parents dropped the kids off and I picked them up from the theater.  They saw the movie "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief" (I may have the title wrong--close, but wrong).  Rei said it was amazing!  He loves Greek mythology (had been a hard-core Hercules and Zena fan) and found the moving fascinating.  Looked good in the previews I have seen.

Looking at the time, I think I need to get moving on stuff.  For whatever reason I am in a chatty mood today!  Oh, I talked to the grandbabies yesterday on the phone (Tony and Andrea too for that matter--they are all doing fine) and Justin told me I needed to come and stay at his house for "Fifteen days!" Wow.  And Alexis told me "I need you Gramma Reina.  I need you to come to my house!"  I told her I missed her too.  I have to make a trip home soon--haven't been there since October!

No comments: