Monday, November 29, 2010

Monday morning...

Cyber monday.  It's all over the news.  I have shopping to do, but don't think I will do most of it online.  I do need to run out and get some fabric however, as Jesse's sister and her husband (who was a friend of Liisa's and she introduced him to Jesse's sister) had a baby yesterday morning. I need to get a gift made and mailed for him: Ephram Gregory.  I saw pictures Liis took at the hospital yesterday afternoon and he is beautiful. Of course I am biased: I think all babies are beautiful.  Even the ugly ones are so ugly they're precious!

We had our Thanksgiving dinner last night and it was very nice.  We had dinner for 11 (if one counts Skye too) and we actually had enough chairs for everyone--we raided the garage for an extra table and some "older" chairs we hung on to for extra seating. I used the turkey recipie by Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond (a blogger I follow, and now a cookbook author), and was so pleased with how it came out! I also made 2 loaves of bread in my bread machine, baked 2 pumpkin pies (I made the crusts from scratch), and we had homemade cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes (with runny gravy--still haven't mastered that yet), homemade candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and, stuffing (with and without onions).  I was cooking basically from 11 am til we ate at 7 p.m.  Eric did an awesome job of steam cleaning the carpets on the main floor for me while I cooked (getting ready to set up the tree, and cleaning up after Midnight's accidents), and then he put all the left-overs away for me.  I had hoped the girls would do the dishes, but no such luck. I am gonna do the bulk of them up today... (it was after 9 by the time we were done eating and the kids were all invested in watching movies with their guests versus doing chores). I honestly think I was asleep before 10:15 last night!  I was worn out!

Aurora didn't say too much about her Thanksgiving with her mom, other than it was "no better, nor no worse than other holidays there."   It was a fast trip, from Wednesday evening (her mom picked her up around 5:30) and she came home Friday night around 11 p.m.  She was a bit frustrated with being home so late, because she had to be up and ready for a bowling tournament on Saturday morning by 7 a.m. She also had (has) a cold, so she was somewhat worn out.  She did fairly well in the tournament, but the team itself didn't do so fantastic.  Eric and Brie (along with Skye) went with her as her cheering section, while I really enjoyed having the house to myself.  I focused on working more on my quilt block embroidery, I knit on an afghan I am trying to finish (I started it 3 years ago October on my first trip down here with Rei to visit Eric and the kids when we were dating), and I also did some chores and finished reading a series I have been really into. It was amazing to have the house quiet, and to complete some things uninterrupted, only multitasking on those things I WANTED to multitask on.

Today we are back into the swing of "normal". Brie and Eric are at work, Skye is napping beside me on the bed, Patrick is still abed (for whatever reason, he hasn't been working last week or this week--not sure why), and Rei and Aurora are at school.  I have a list of things I want to accomplish today, so I am going to need to take advantage of Skye's nap to get some things done.  The biggest thing on my list is getting my winter term set up for school.  I am going to register for just one class for starters towards the sub-specialty of Children and Adolescence (I need 5 classes for the certificate); Brie is taking 4 classes in the winter, and Eric is taking 3, along with working, so I don't want to overload myself (and babysitting) by initially doing more than one.  Maybe spring I can do two, but we'll see.  In this way I can maintain my student status, continue to network for an internship, and figure out what I need to do for MY life.  I also need to get Rei's appointment set up with the cardiologist for his Echocardiogram and EKG (for the pulmonary fistula he has), and I also need to set up some other appointments as well, for dental appointments, eye appointments, and so forth.  I have my list!

Liisa just called me on her way home from the vet: her female coon hound has been peeing indiscriminately the past few days, and has been tetchy, uncomfortable, and out of sorts. She thought SweetTea had a uti, but the vet says she is experiencing female incontinence. They are putting her on a pill for her bladder (like humans take!) and that should help.  Hopefully it will be a short term thing (half a pill every 12 hours), but if not, then it will be a regular part of her routine.  Liisa is such a good dog-mommy though. She is taking it in stride, and she is doing what she can to be sure her big girl is comfortable.  It makes me wonder if we need something like that for Midnight especially, although Po is being naughty too.  He peed yesterday on my couch cushion and floor, on the freshly shampooed sewing room carpet and chair, and he has been marking things upstairs again too (now that Brie broke our gate at the landing he can get upstairs easier). Midnight I can somewhat understand, because he is elderly and he can't generally help himself. Po, however, is young and should know better.  He is just being territorial.

Ok, my day is starting to get away from me.  Time to start making my phone calls!

No comments: