Monday, November 3, 2008

It's slowly but surely becoming a home...

Eric and I have been working our butts off to get some things done around here. He got my old antique bevelled bathroom mirror hung up in the hallway for me last evening and it looks wonderful! Reflects the light so nicely, and I admit, it's nice to have a mirror near the doorway to be sure one is "together" before heading out. I deliberately tried to avoid including the boxes still against the dining room wall in the picture, so what you see is the entrance to the stairs going upstairs, the door to the "guest room" reflected, and the front door of the house is to the right. The dining room is directly opposite the mirror, and then there is a hallway to the right that goes to the laundry room and garage, and then the open back of the house: the kitchen and living room. he white bookcases are the ones I had been painting all weekend.
I also got the handmade craft table put together and set up in the living room; my grandfather made it for me when I was just a teenager and it has gone everywhere with me! It has a lamp built in to it, and a deep "well" (for lack of a better description) that was intended to house my projects when not in use. To see it in the living room, at the end of the couch makes me very happy. Today I got the catchall card table cleared off in what was the "dining room" and will be my "sewing room". Eric went to put my butcher block table together for me last night and we are missing the hardware for it. I *think* I know where it might be, but I could be wrong... In the meantime there are still many boxes to go through and make decisions about. Honestly! Where have three months gone?

I got my correct magnifier attachment today and man, has it been calling my name to stitch! So far I have been very good and left it alone--set up where I can see that it will be such an asset to my stitching (lol) but for right now, it's off limits 'til I get some other things done. Maybe tonight when Eric is doing homework I can stitch for awhile. They included a warning in the packaging not to leave the magnifier in direct sunlight as it is a 3x (or 300%) magnification, and as such, can be a fire hazard... I think one of my first sewing projects will be to make a cover for it to protect it from dust, scratches, and the rays of the sun! Please ignore the mess behind the floor frame; that is a part of today's organizing projects too...


I had some mail on Saturday that initially confused me, as it was from the Department of Veteran's Affairs! It was all very official looking, but seeing as I am not a vet, I didn't know why they would be sending me something, especially from Leavenworth, KS! Turns out it was in regard to my application for employment as a Psychiatric Nursing Assistant at the Vet's Hospital in St. Louis, where Eric works. They needed me to fill out a statement of eligibility for federal employment, and to list what my availabilities to work would be. They were very careful to cite on it that it was NOT an offer of employment, but Eric said I should feel optomistic. Then today I received an email stating that I met all the requirements of that position and that they were forwarding my application to the HR department of the hiring agency for further consideration, so I guess that is all to the good! I am cautiously optomistic at this point!

As promised, here are pics of our menagerie:


Leina............................................. Poelei

Midnight...................................... Pekeiko

Batman....................................... Rosie Cayenne
They are busy, naughty, loveable, and always underfoot... As they say, ya can't live with them, ya can't live without them!


That's the update for today! Don't forget to VOTE tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been telling Amy about your life and sending her your blog to read. One positive aspect of tomorrow is the fact there will be no political ads! Hallelujah!!!