Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving week...

and I have been feeling homesick for the holidays. Last year I came here to IL for the holiday and it was easy, an adventure. This year it's for real and for keeps, and I have had a few blue moments knowing the family in MN will be gathering without us. I was really tearful on Sunday, but it seems better these past few days. I think it helps to have Eric home--he keeps me busy!

We still are up in the air as to what Eric's younger two are doing for Thanksgiving. Originally the plan was that they would be headed to their Mom's in IN for the weekend, but now she has to work much of it, so is just planning to come down here for the day and take the kids out. That, however, is dependent on the weather and her getting her car fixed (no heat). I hope she can make it; as a mom I know how much I treasure any time I get with my kids, and seeing my kids is a NEED for me, not just a want. I hope it all works out well for her. Rei and I are not going to MN, and despite my lobbying for it, none of my kids can make it down here this year. They will be with the family up there though. so I am content. I am making a huge turkey dinner here, planned for around 7 pm when Eric gets home from work, and will spend the day cooking. Last year Aurora and Eric primarily made the meal, and I just helped with the pies. We had such fun, and it was very tasty! This year it'll be me doing most of the cooking, although I may rope Rei into helping some... Eric and I went and got all the fixin's yesterday. Brianne has to work 6- 2 on Thanksgiving and her bet is that they will be busy--everyone wants coffee and donuts for their travels don't they? Hmmmm... Cliff should be around to help some too. I don't think he's working.

We have some good news on Betty: she has come home from the hospital now, and her fevers are under control. I haven't heard more details on what the tests showed, but am so glad she's feeling better. That was such a worry for all of us! Now I hope she takes things slow and easy--she is so stubbornly independent sometimes, and she thinks she's invincible... (just like a teenager!). Bless her heart, she is a wonderful person and I want only the best for her.

We've been looking at the christmas list of what to get for whom... I had to laugh at Eric because he seems so surprised at the effort and time I try to put into the gifts for everyone. I'm a bit sad because I have not made anything this year, and normally I'm finishing up projects about this time of year, but my usual gift making time has been usurped this year by other priorities! Oh well, I will get a head start for next year! I'm sure I can do that easily. I was joking with Liisa that I need her to get/set up a webcam on her laptop this year for Christmas eve at my mom's house, so that I can vicariously be a part of the festivities there. I have a web cam here, and I can set mine up too, then I can chat with family as they want to talk to me, and I can see the gifts as they are opened/exchanged... It could be really fun! Eric has to work Christmas Eve from 6 pm to 6 am, so it'll be a quiet night for me here.

Because I am not sure when I will next post this week, I want to just take a minute to count all that I am thankful for this year. I am so thankful for my wonderful husband, whom I adore, and for all that has come to me through our relationship; I am so grateful his kids have accepted me into their home and their lives, and that we are making things work as a family. I am so glad I have Reimond here with me and that he is starting to find a place here as well with school, bowling, and making friends. I don't know if I could have made the move if he hadn't been willing to come with me! I am so very proud of my big kids and all they have accomplished--establishing households, going to school, being responsible adults... I tried to do my best by them growing up, to teach them what is important in life, and to help them establish their values and beliefs where it truly matters... It has paid off, and I am so very proud of them! I am thankful for being able to have my grandbabies in my life--they are such joys and treasures, and while I wish I could take a more active role in their lives on a daily basis, I am thrilled that they know me and I have a relationship with them. My extended family and friends too are treasures I hold tightly to in my heart. One of my recent devotions talked about how when all is said and done, it is the people and the relationships that remains in one's memory, not the material things out of them, and how true it is. I have so many wonderful people in my life that I count in my heart as "family". I am most truly blessed!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone, and know that you are loved!

No comments: