Sunday, November 9, 2008

A quiet Sunday afternoon

It's grey and gloomy and oh so chilly today! The cold from MN has swept down in our direction even as my family travels back north, and my mom laughed when she pointed out she had packed and brought with her winter things--boots, hat, gloves, and winter jacket. Last I talked to them they had reached the half-way point, Cedar Rapids, IA, and it sounded like they were making good time.

It was so wonderful to have them here by me, to share my home, my community, and my new life with them. It was especially nice to do as some of my commentors from the last post suggested, sit back, relax, and enjoy our time together. They got in around 10:30 Thursday evening, and we sat up 'til midnight relaxing and sharing a glass of wine. That, of course made 5 am Friday come way too soon for many of us, (4 in Eric's case so he could get to work on time), but we survived the early morning. Mom and Jocelyn stayed here at the house while Kristi went with Rei and I to his appointment. We actually made pretty good time getting to St. Louis, and by the time we got parked and checked in, we were a half hour early for the appointment. The cardiologist was wonderful! He is from Wisconsin and was very familiar with our home turf--in fact his brother-in-law works for Dudley Riggs Brave New Workshop in Uptown, so he put in a plug for them as well! He answered my questions easily, reassured us that we had nothing to worry about with Reimond, and that he felt confident that we would not need to have him seen sooner than in another year, where he ordered a follow up EKG and echocardiogram. In fact, the doctor was quite pleased that Reimond is as active as he is, and said the "worst thing" he can do for his heart is just sit and play videogames. I assured him that while Rei does play them, he has the attention span of a flea most of the time, and quickly is back outside on his waveboard or bike.

We got home from the doctor's office around 10 am, and we collected up other family members, then made a run to Scott AFB to tour and "shop". My mother has actually moved into the 21st century now with the purchase of her first digital camera, and Jocelyn spent quite a bit of time that evening teaching Grandma how to use it. We got a few groceries at the commisary, ran by the pharmacy, and then came home to make dinner. I had put a beef (bottom) round roast to slowly cook in the crock pot at 6 am, so I added carrots and potatoes around 4, and what a tasty dinner that ended up being! I also made brownies and had vanilla ice cream for dessert, and we had a quiet evening here at home. In fact, after dinner I ended up going right to bed, as I got hit with a killer migraine headache as I was sitting quiet and watching tv with the family. It came out of nowhere, although my mom thinks it was triggered by the let down of stress from Rei, along with everything else that had been going on and a lack of good sleep. Whatever the reason, I was in bed just after 8 (didn't even get dessert!) after taking my prescription migraine med. I put the tv on quietly to listen to my shows, but I couldn't tell you what happened on any of them. Hurt too much to watch them and I guess I dozed through them 'til Eric came to bed.

Saturday morning I woke up feeling great, so I made apple-cinnamon pancakes and bacon for the family, and got everyone up and roused to go to the bowling alley. We ended up needing to go in two cars because of all the people going, and we had fun there. I was trying to upload some photos, but it isn't working for me today! Anyhow, we ran a bulk of the kids home, then took Aurora to the football game (marching band), where our high school team won, and now we move up another step towards the state tournament (Go Indians!); Mom, Kristi, Jocelyn, and I went shopping in "downtown Mascoutah"--all 6 blocks of it! They got some lovely sporting apparel from Letterman's (including a really nice stadium seat my sister has been wanting for her back when she goes to danceline competitions), to the Spice, Tea, Coffee, and Wine shop that we love, where we sampled some tasty vintages and my sister and I each bought a bottle of our favorites, among other things, and to a brand new beaded jewelry shop that has opened in town. The one store I wanted to take them into was closed, so off we headed next to (gasp) Walmart... Believe it or not, Sylvia shopped there and the sky did NOT fall! (Of course, I made up for it today by shopping at Target to the tune of over $100 in household supplies). We came home, relaxed 'til Eric got home from work, then went out for a delicious meal at Tony's in town. We got home around 9, watched a little tv, and were all in bed by 10 (some sleeping before that on the couch in the living room, heeheehee).

We were up around 7-7:30 this morning, as Kristi wanted to get an early start back--the weather being what is was "up north", Jocelyn having school tomorrow morning, Mom having an appointment, and Betty being in the hospital, it made sense that they would want to be home around dinner time tonight, even if it was hard to say goodbye. Then the kids and I (sans Brianne and Cliff) went to church. The kids thereafter went off with friends in their various directions, and I am home savoring a fairly quiet household. I put some stewbeef with spices and gravy to coming in the crockpot, I made a big cup of herb tea, and after I post this, I am going to *finally* enjoy my new magnifier and cross stitch until my honey comes home from work. I really need/deserve a restful afternoon!

I am so grateful to everyone for their prayers and support over these past couple of weeks, and to my mom, sister, and niece for making this trip down to be by us. I was so scared about what the news might be, and having things to do and people around made it so much easier to bear! I lost one Rei in November (my dad), and couldn't bear the thought that there might be something wrong with his name-sake. I would like to ask for prayers still for Betty though (Rollie's Mom). She isn't doing well at all right now, and is in the hospital where they are trying to figure out what exactly is going on. She was adamant no one change their plans on her behalf and stay home by her (for which I am grateful), but bless her heart, she needs prayers, love and support too as she spike fevers daily and they are not sure what is causing them. Our pastor had a wonderful sermon today on the 12 bridesmaids and their oil lamps, and what fills our oil for us so that we are prepared as individuals. He pointed out that faith and grace are strong components of what makes up "oil" for us, but he also reminded us that family, friends, and community also help to keep us filled up when we are running low. I have been so grateful for all of you "being here" for me as my life changes and transitions, and while I have always relied on God's grace to be sufficient for my needs, it helps to have all of you to rely on as well. Even my church community, as little as they know Rei and I, graciously put him on the prayer call list and lifted us up, and today shared our relief and hugs with us (as much as it embarassed Reimond at times). I feel so at peace today!

On a totally different subject (I'm sorry, I'm wordy today!) I was very excited to finally take a class at the art's and craft center on post. I had signed up for the spinning class using a spinning wheel. It is on Wednesday evenings, and I had received an email saying while I was the only one signed up, they were going to hold it anyway. Imagine my surprise when I showed up there a few minutes late to discover there was no one there to teach it! They called the instructor, who also happenes to be the center's director, and he came in personally to teach me. I am receiving private instructions! Our first night was devoted to learning the history of spinning, to understanding the different types of fleece (or other materials) used, and to discuss the mathematical properties of spinning as they apply to twist (for strength and stability) and usage. The instructor seemed surprised but pleased that I had a fairly good knowledge base and that I asked challenging and (he said) insightful questions. He encouraged me strongly to join the Southern Illinois Artisan's Guild, a guild of fiber and textile artisans (so spinners, weavers, dyers, knitters, etc.). He said I would fit right in with that group given my diverse interests and activities, as well as mastery of different skills. He said there were not too many sewers/quilters in the group as there are other guilds more active with those genres, but that members of this guild are also active in others. One thing I have ALWAYS wanted to do is dress in period clothing and demonstrate some of my hobbies, and they have a subgroup of individuals who do that, for demonstrations at schools or other sites. That would be so much fun! Eric just laughed at me when I came home all psyched for this. It would certainly help me to spread my wings and find friends who share my interests and passions locally! We'll see what happens...

Hope everyone has a wonderful and restful Sunday. GO Minnesota VIKINGS! (Liisa is stuck at work manning the parking lots during the game--poor Liisi, stay warm!)

No comments: