Friday, May 8, 2009

It's friday!


This is my Mother's Day present from Brianne and Aurora. They made it for me today, and it has a recording in it where they wished me "happy mother's day Mom/Mommy" in their voices. It was very sweet and I love it! She is holding a bouquet and is wearing a sash. Apparently they were looking at adding an apron to her suggesting cookie baking and I thought that too was really sweet. I was very touched by their thoughtfulness. It was a really nice surprise after a somewhat rough day.
I was really tearful today. I was over-tired, headachey, and emotionally drained. I was at the ER with Reimond last night til after 1 am, and we didn't get home til after 1:30. He was struggling with excrutiating pain and nausea from his injury, and per the urgent care doc's recommendation, I took him in. Kimmie actually went along with us, because she had been with Rei as things got worse. They did an ultrasound and said that there was no torsion (twisting of the spermical cord) present, but there was occlusion, indicating inflammation and swelling present. The doctor consulted with a Urologist at St Louis Children's and it was decided that we should try a couple of other things to make him more comfortable (supportive garments, ibuprofen, ice packs) and have him rechecked again on Monday at his follow up appointment. We didn't learn too much more than we already new, but I don't regret bringing him in. Given the level of pain he was experiencing, 5 days after the fact, I felt it was necessary.

The tearful part I think was related to a number of things, including being overtired. I think the tension of the past month finally got to me. Eric and I were snapping at each other, patience was fairly thin, and everytime we tried to take some time for us, we were interrupted by kids needs one way or another. Today it was picking Rei up from school because he still was struggling and uncomfortable (I made him try school, although I did have a doctor's note excusing him for the day). He has Saturday detention tomorrow for being distracting in class; he has it again for the Saturday after that for two reasons: he didn't go get his "homework" to do in tutorial because it was hurting him to walk the distance of the school to get to his locker and back (he intended to bring it home and do it here) but he was embarassed to explain that to the teacher; then, when she wrote him up and he went to the office, he declined signing the referral because he didn't agree with it. The assistant principal said she would add consequences if he didn't sign it, hence the second Saturday detention. I personally think it's bogus, and punative. Eric sorta agrees with the school, whereas I understand Rei's taking a stand. I guess my biggest beef is that I don't understand what this consequence is meant to deter... To make him feel he should sign somthing he doesn't agree with? He says he was respectful in his not signing it, and it didn't say that he was rude or disrespectful. For not doing homework in tutorial? As long as he is using the time non-disruptively, I was under the impression it was to help him with his study skills etc. and not as just a study hall. Even the one he is serving tomorrow, I don't necessarily see the value of: two weeks after the fact, where is the immediacy of the consequence and the connection between cause and effect? But that is me. He will be there, and he will do what he needs to do for the next two weeks. There is a part of me that is not looking forward to his being in summer school--I think a break would do all of us a world of good, but he needs the credits. Still, it makes me sad.

I was also sad today because I am homesick. All the stress and tension around here has left me feeling emotionally drained and I haven't really had any way to recharge myself. Up until tonight it has felt pretty constant. I miss my kids, I miss my mom and my siblings, I miss my friends... I miss not being able to go to the places I enjoy going to. Other than Eric, I really don't have much for a buffer here for when I feel overwhelmed and need an escape. I try to go sit out on the swing where it's quiet, I try to read or get involved in some handwork, or even my video games, but there has not been much uninterrupted time for any of that. Having Eric at work tonight, Patrick at a friend's overnight, Rei and Kimmie out with Cliff, and Brianne at WildCountry, has left just Aurora and I here, and she is very restful company. She is reading a book and I have the tv on in my room. I got the living room cleaned and vaccuumed, I just still need to dust, and that makes me feel better. Having the time to just think my thoughts helps too. It's been really nice to have a break tonight.

My plan for tomorrow is to finish cleaning the main floor tomorrow morning, then take Aurora to the mall to get her a few things she needs before she goes to Branson. Today I picked up some fleece to make her a small blanket to take with her on the bus (one of those tied ones in polar fleece). One side is white, with black paw prints on it (could be cat, could be dog, lol); the other is solid purple--her school colors. It was said at the meeting that the bus gets really cold, and I know she gets really cold easily, so I thought this would be fun and special for her. She can even help me make it if she wants to! I also got buttons sewn on to my sweater and now it's totally done and ready to wear. Makes me really happy!

I think I need to get ready for bed. A good night sleep will be helpful and tomorrow is a new day. Eric has school, so he won't be home til around 1-1:30, and then he'll need to sleep, so I have lots to get done in the morning before he gets home.

No comments: