Friday, May 15, 2009

The storms are finally subsiding,

and it's turning into a cooler, quieter night. It was a hot and extremely humid day: I saw thermometers listing temps as high as 91 today and as low as 85. Eric mowed the yard yet again, and it is finally at a length that he approves of; we grilled porkchops for dinner, and watched the storms roll in around 7 pm... Just in time to disrupt my season finale's of Friday night television...

It's a quiet night on the home-front too. Patrick went to a concert and is spending the night at a friend's, Aurora is in Branson, and Brianne just left to go to drill for the weekend. Rei and Kimmie are watching the end of a movie on one tv, and we have the news on in our room, while Eric raids on Everquest. He has school in the morning, and Rei has his Saturday detention, so it'll be just Kimmie and I home in the morning. Despite a brief difference of opinion with Brie late this afternoon, she spent the evening hanging out with Eric and I watching TV and keeping us company 'til her ride picked her up, and she left with hugs all around. It was so much nicer than previous partings this week. I think we all needed the peace and quiet. I have to admit I was a bit frustrated with Rei and Kimmie at one point; after seeing the weather reports, they elected to go out on their bikes about the same time the storm started rolling in, without even letting us know they were taking off... I ended up picking them up and loading bikes into the car when the winds picked up significantly, the sky darkened ominously, and the rain started to fall. I admit, I was hard on them for being stupid, and I reminded them of the rules that they NEED to check in before they take off places. I am just glad Rei had his phone on him. I didn't mind picking them up, but they have to know that they are not yet close to being adults, with the freedom to come and go as they please.

I was a bit blue today. My sister's crafting weekend at the lake started today and I would have liked to be there. I have been talking to Minneapolis quite a bit these last few days, and I am really missing my family. I had a 45 minute conversation with my grandchildren (and their mother) on Thursday and I laughed myself silly throughout it. Justin was adamant I needed to get in my van and drive to his house, where they "have a tv" and I can watch his favorite movie with him. He talked about using his "super powers" to make an airplane that he could fly here to my house, and he also had it all figured out that if I drive to his house, we can load up the van with his sister, himself, their stuff, and the puppies (Liisa's I am presuming), and then after driving to get gas, we can drive back to my house. He has been really missing me according to Andrea and Tony and it sure came across loud and clear during our conversation. Even Alexis was telling me to come visit! They sang me the itsy bitsy spider (I love Alexis' version!), and they had so much to say! Andrea says things are a bit better from earlier in the week and she sounded better, brighter. I am so relieved. I also had long conversations with Liisa and my mom over the past few days and those have helped as well.

Reimond and I are struggling some with allergy stuff, and even Eric has been sneezing his head off, off and on. Rei's asthma flared a bit this morning, but he seemed better to me by this afternoon. I had to remind him about not abusing his inhalor though--he was using it every time his chest hurt at school and they called me concerned. I was a little frustrated with his clinic: I went and picked up his refill script for the concerta, and they wrote it wrong; then, when the pharmacy needed to call for a correction, the office was closed. Rei didn't have meds for today and won't have them for Monday either. Grrrrr! They don't make a single dose pill for the amount he is on, so he needs two pills to combine to the dose needed, and the script was just written for the final total. Common sense would suggest that the dosage needs to be split, but the pharmacy cannot act on it independently. Illinois has some screwy laws when it comes to their handling of controlled substances, and it is completely different from how we did it in MN. I also miss our clinics, where there are multiple docs available for appointments and referrals.

We have all the blinds up right now to watch the lightening. The bulk of the storm has passed but we still have lightening flashing around us, and rumbles of thunder. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow, upper 60's for the weekend, but 80's are predicted for the holiday weekend. Letterman is on, and I think it's time to get ready for bed... It's been a long day.

No comments: