Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's been one of *those* days today...

My day started with the alarm going off at it's usual 3:45 for my honey to get up for work.  He turned it off, cuddled in, and said "just 5 minutes, then I will get up...." 45 minutes later he was saying "Oh sh*t, I'm running late," and off and running he was.  (Note, he did get ready and leave on time by 5, so it wasn't a huge deal).  Then, Brie popped her head in at 5:30 or so to let me know she was headed to work and the baby was sleeping.  Cool.  Then at 6:30 my youngest called me on my cell phone to tell me he was "too sick to go to school".  After a long and drawn out discussion of giving it a try, and me holding firm that if he stays home he'd need to go to the clinic ("but Mom, it's just a stomach ache!") he agreed to get ready and go.  Then he wanted a ride, but I said no, that the weather was nice enough and we lived close enough he could walk.  He left.  I then dozed back off only to be awakened a half hour later (at 7:44 am) by Aurora, to tell me she had just woken up and needed a ride to school! (She is normally so responsible about getting herself up I never even imagined she was still home when I was dealing with Rei).  We checked, and Patrick was home, so I got dressed and drove her (the baby was still sleeping).  I came home, poured a cup of coffee, and sat down.  Skye got up at 9, so by that time my emails were read, my facebook stuff was done, and I could enjoy her (she is always in a great mood when she wakes up) and we had a good rest of the morning.

When Skye went down for her nap, I sat at the sewing machine with an old t-shirt to practice some lettering on, in preparation for doing up the travel league shirts for the kids (last names centered, first names on the shoulder).  The thread kept "nesting up" under the garment, and making a mess.  I trimmed the threads back, removed the offending stitches, rethreaded the machine (top and bobbin), and tried again.  And again, and again...  Ended up with small holes in the teeshirt where the stitches had bunched up and been cut out.  Took the vaccuum to the bobbin area to make sure all lint was gone.  Got online to troubleshoot.  Tried rethreading again, with a new needle.  Still screwing up.  Gave up cuz the baby was awake and spent time with her (feeding, changing, playing).  When Brie got home I tried the machine again.  Still screwed up.  Called the dealer and explained what was going on, and she suggested all the things I had already tried.  So she told me to bring it in.  I was ready to cry!  I brought it in, and it looks like it may be a simple fix, by replacing the bobbin case, which had some holes and a rough spot in it.  I have the gold-standard warranty on it (Thank you Eric!) so it won't cost anything, and hopefully that will fix it.  They are running it through it's paces to be sure that is all it is.  The sad part is I had brought in everything I was using on it when I brought it in, but the woman who needed to look at it was at dinner.  So they sent me home with everything but the machine.  She called me to verify what I was doing/using to try and replicate it and see if she has it fixed.  I am now awaiting a phone call to go back and pick it up (I hope) either tonight or tomorrow morning so I can get these projects done before Saturday. (The travel league shirts are one project, 10 shirts to embroider names on; the other is a baptismal napkin to embroider for church for a baptism on Sunday).

Aurora has had two bowling matches in a row.  She was quite pleased with her scores yesterday: had a 650 series.  Brie and the baby went to that one, as well as the one today.  I am curious to see how she does today.  Eric made an appointment for Monday to go get his new ball drilled, and I am curious to see if it helps his score at all.  He is pretty happy with it (should be--he picked it out himself!)

Po is being a challenge of late.  Eric put new weather stripping in the kitchen door frame, and it doesn't always close 100% tight.  The wind has been blowing the door open, and Po runs the second he smells fresh air.  Today he got out when it was just me and Skye here, and I couldn't leave her alone to go chase him.  I called Eric in a panic, and he said to try and keep him in sight, then call to him from the back door/patio area.  I went and grabbed the tub of dog treats and gave treats to Leina, who was out, and then yelled loudly for Po, who was down at the curve of the trail, near the end of the "marshy dip", almost out of sight, and shook the cannister of treats and called out for him, saying "treats".  He ran back to the house on his own, albeit taking his own sweet time, but I was able to coax him back and get him in the house.  Almost gave me heart-failure though, and I am not sure what I would have done if he had kept on running.

Midnight continues to hang in there.  Some days he seems a bit better than others, but he continues to have little appetite, and poor balance.  He generally sleeps the day away. He'll do his business when taken outside, but he no longer really approaches the door to go out, and tends to be incontinent where he stands.  Poor old guy!  It makes me sad!

Last night I saw Skye sit up by herself for the first time for longer than a second or two.  She was on our bed, with a toy in her lap, and she pulled herself forward from the pillows and balanced herself upright on her butt.  Brie, Eric and I were all together when she did it, and it was so neat to see!  She is getting to be such a big girl now!  She has her 4 month physical on the 18th I believe (she'll actually be closer to 5 months old), and I am really curious about her height and weight.  She has definitely filled out quite a bit, and if Aurora's math is correct, she is about 18 lbs now.  It's hard to believe, and even harder to carry around for extended periods of time!

Other than the usual going on (work, school, friends) the kids are fine and things are status quo.  The weather has been cooperating with sunshine, despite cool temps, and it does wonders for my mood to see sunshine on a daily basis.  Now if only it would stay light out past 4:30 p.m. life would be good!

No comments: