Saturday, January 22, 2011

It's Saturday...

I am sitting here with coffee in my favorite cup, the baby sleeping next to me.  Eric has taken Aurora and Rei to the bowling alley, Patrick is in bed, and Brie is at work. The sun is trying to peek through the clouds, and it seems a bit brighter than the past few have been. I got a decent night's sleep for the first time in a long while last night, so I feel brighter and more like myself today. I am even feeling energetic, which it's been a while since I have felt that way (if I am honest it's been about 3 months). Eric and I have been making some progress with de-cluttering our bedroom, having bought a new desk that we can share about 2 weeks ago and we are eagerly clearing out the old desk area so we can get that set up with better organization and storage. The goal is to permanently set up his new laptop with my relatively new desktop on the desk, and send his old desktop out for the kids to use (we also want to try and re-set up the kid's computer, so they have a couple of them to use). In addition, I took some of my babysitting money from Skye/Brie and bought myself an upholstered rocker-recliner for the bedroom, and it has been wonderful for rocking Skye to sleep at night. Still haven't tried it for cross-stitching, but I am looking forward to that in the next few days.

I think, once we get the clutter cleaned out and the desk area situated we can look forward to painting out room.  I am looking to doing the room in shades of cream and chocolate brown, and I think it will be cozy for both of us--rich and comfortable, without being too masculine or feminine. My goal prior to painting in here though is to get the loft area situated with my sewing stuff, which will clear out another corner in our bedroom as well as the dining room downstairs. I will have a dedicated space to put everything. I want to paint out there before I start moving things out, and with Eric moving to nights as of Monday, I will have lots of time on my own to putter while he is either sleeping or gone. I have made my lists, now it's time to start acting on them!

We are supposed to be getting more snow heading into monday, and I am generally ok with that--I love how clean everything looks versus dead and grey. I have also been thrilled to see some cardinals at my feeders in the back yard. There has been one male and two females that I am aware of, and Eric is enjoying the woodpeckers who like the suet trap thingy. It's been sad to not have Midnight around any more--at odd times I find myself looking for him, and every now and again I think I hear him barking outside. Eric and the kids elected not to have him cremated independently so that we'd have his ashes, so we have been sharing memories and looking at pictures instead.

I got my sewing machine back yesterday. It looks like they gave it a good cleaning, removed some shredded thread from the thread-uptake area (which I cannot get to independently), and adjusted the timing and so forth. The final cost to us was $0 but the original bill was $266 so we have almost already gotten our money's worth out of the extended warranty we put on it. I feel so good about that! I cannot wait to get back to some of my sewing projects again!

My schoolwork is interesting, and I am plugging along. I just really need to figure out MY time management to stay on top of things. I find I am taking care of Skye directly and indirectly more than I had anticipated, but I still maintain that she is an easy baby--it's just trying to be on her schedule rather than my own, and adjusting my expectations of when I will have time to myself, because it changes constantly. Eric and the other kids are great to pitch in when they can, but generally it feels sometimes like the buck stops with me (I am, of course talking primarily about when Brie is gone--either working or school). It is what it is, and I am glad I can help.

I think it's time to take advantage of the baby being asleep and squeek in a couple of chores. Then it's time to hit the books!

No comments: