Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Late on a Tuesday night...

I am still up, even with Eric sleeping, because I was waiting to hear if indeed I need to get Kimmie to the airport early tomorrow morning. The original plan was for her to fly to Canada today for a couple of weeks, then on to Arizona for 4 weeks, split between 2 households, but because she doesn't have a passport, that was switched around some, and plan B was for her to go to AZ first, then on to Canada once the ID stuff got figured out. She was told she needed to be at the airport for a 6 am flight tomorrow morning, but wasn't given any other details; then the issue of her being an unaccompanied minor reared it's head (only Southwestern Airlines isn't picky about Unaccompanied minors), and we have waited all day to hear about plan C. As of 10 p.m. we had a very upset little girl on our hands who has no idea of what the plans are at all! Her dad never got back to her with the flight info, and her mom said to give it another day... I am confused as all get-out as to what we are to be doing with her. She is excited to go, has people waiting on her flight information (myself included) and communication isn't going so well... Personally I am fine with her staying here with us, but I do need to know what is going on if I have to get her to the airport. At 14 she is too young to make all these plans and decisions on her own, at least in my opinion! So I am sitting up for a bit.

Aurora is now doing her behind the wheel and is eager to practice every chance she gets. I will be honest, I am not the bravest driver at the best of times, so I am not going to go driving with her until she is more experienced/confident behind the wheel. This is disappointing to her because she wants to GO, but I can't do it. My nerves wouldn't do so well with that. I know Eric says she does fine, but she has very little experience under her belt as yet, and I can't do it... Didn't with my older two either, Liisa drove with her older boyfriend (she was 18 anyhow), and Tony drove with his dad. Patrick's permit has expired so we need to get him a new one, then he will need some practice too before heading out for his license... Reimond we have some time to wait on before he takes driver's ed. Eric's frustration is that the school expects us to take them joy riding essentially to get "hours" in, and we don't have the time nor the the gas money to accommodate that. Aurora is liking it anyway, so that is all good.

Reimond is doing fine staying up on homework so I am proud of him. Patrick has voluntarily done some chores around the house before heading off with friends, so that is good too, and the kids are making good use of our Pool pass. I figure I will be using it over the coming days as the heat index gets into the 100's and real temps top 90+ degrees. Brianne is back living primarily at home, although she is rarely here. Right now her focus is at the neighbor's as they ready for a wedding of a friend of her's. She has been helping there most of her free time. Her room is showing sparks of being worked on, which is nice. And after a fairly volatile weekend, things are somewhat settled--at least there is no yelling for the nonce. I have only been scheduled to work on Friday this week, so I have been picking up specific chores to do each day, then focusing on one project or another to pass the time. I am keeping myself occupied...

Eric and I had a lovely time on our winery tour and wine tasting outing. We really enjoyed the day, with good wines, good food, and good people (there were 8 others we went with). It was something I would love to do again. We bought 2 bottles of wine that we liked, and that was nice too. Not sure when we will open them, but we have them to look at anyway! It was really nice to get away for the day and just enjoy each other's company!

I still have not heard anything more from Kimmie (she was waiting for a phone call from her dad), so I guess I will go to bed. I am sure the kids will wake me up if they need me. Good night!

No comments: