Thursday, June 11, 2009

Trip to MN and other random thoughts...

I decided to post some random pictures from my trip to MN. We had such a full schedule while we were there, although the weather really was a pain in the butt and didn't cooperate with us beyond our first day there, that Friday, June 5th. We got in to MN around 11:45 p.m. Thursday night, and got to bed around 12:30 a.m. Friday we were up by 7 as I had a hair appointment for Rei and I at my sister's for 8. I was thrilled to have highlights and low lights added back in to my hair, and to get a "decent" cut, and Rei got his hair cut as well to a wonderful short style. He is a bit self-conscious of it, but looks so handsome, and I am pleased with it. We then went out to lunch (me, Liisa, Rei, and Kimmie) with my good friend Debbie at Perkins, and while there was too much going on for an in-depth visit, it was filled with chat, catching up, and laughter. We parted with Deb, then headed back to Liisa's to get the puppies, who we then took on a long walk around Lake Harriet. The weather was lovely, and the puppies were exuberant!


Rei really wanted to show Kimmie the "Elf House", a hollow tree that someone decorated with a door, and who responds to notes left by the curious with detailed info of what life is like as the "Lake Harriet Elf". It is a magical little spot, and I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Elf, who is so kind to the curious. The puppies tried swimming for the first time, and that was so fun to watch. Liisa wants them to be fond of the water, and they were encouraged by a female yellow lab, who was chasing a tennis ball into the lake (they puppies I believe thought she was Max when they first spotted her, although the scents told them otherwise once they were close). I was amused to watch the puppies as they followed scents--coon hounds are great trackers, and it was obvious watching them as they followed various "trails" along the walking paths.
Then it was back to Liisa's where we readied for a barbeque. My friend Jill came over to join us, as well as some of Liisa and Jesse's friends and relatives, and we also had a fire, as the night was cooling off rather quickly. Andrea had to work, but she scooted over for a hug after her shift was done and it was great to see her!
Saturday we "slept in" for a bit, then the kids went one way (to the Mall of America) and I went another, first browsing at my favorite cross stitch shop (Stitchville USA, in Minnetonka, MN), then over to Tony and Andrea's to see the grandkids. I was so glad to see the babies and Andrea, and while I was sad Tony wasn't there too, I did talk to him on the telephone and heard that things were going fine for him in CA.

While I was over there, I got a call from the kids asking if I could come and pick them up. It had been raining all day, a steady, soaking rain (and despite it being much-needed, really put a damper to a small degree on my trip), and the kids were wet and cold. Justin immediately announced we should put his booster seat in my van so he could come with, and off he and I went to get the kids. We went back to Liisa's for a bit, then went to my Mom's for dinner. Andrea and Alexis met us there, as did Jenna and the girls, and we all had a wonderful dinner on Saturday night. It felt like old times! Only Neal, Tony, and my family (Eric and the kids) were missing, and had they been there, it would have felt "complete".

Sunday I made trips to my local quilt shop and yarn shop (I needed size 2 double pointed needles for some socks I am knitting), and I enjoyed browsing what was "new". Then I met Erika over at her place, and we went out to lunch. The renovations she is doing on the main bathroom are lovely (I really like the paint color) and I hope she sends me pictures of when it is totally done! We had a great lunch and visit, and I enjoyed seeing her face to face! Liisa and Jesse had had a full day as well, and Rei and Kimmie were with friend's of Rei's for the evening, so we ended our Sunday night with pasta from Pizza Hut for dinner, and an early night. Andrea and the kids came over, and we just had a quiet night. Monday I ran back to the cross stitch shop to get some threads I needed, then went to Andrea's where I baby sat the kids for a few hours (she had to go to work and her Mom was watching the kids in the evening). Rei and Kimmie again met up with friends of Reimond. Then Liisa made a fantastic taco dinner for all of us, and we had more family and friends over, including Rei's dad, who made a very brief appearance. It was very nice!

Tuesday morning I had an agenda, and while it was cloudy, the rains had finally quit, so off we ran to the Mall of America for books (for Rei and Kimmie) and Cinnabon's for breakfast. Then we ran to the cemetary so I could "have coffee with my dad" (I even poured out some next to his headstone so we could "share" it), followed by a stop at Minnehaha Falls, so I could get a few pictures. We dropped Liisa off at her house and said our goodbyes, then ran over to Andrea's to say goodbye there. The little ones didn't want us to go, but knowing we had a long ride ahead of us, we knew we couldn't stay too terribly long. After a story, some hugs, and kisses, (as well as high fives and fist bangs), we got into the van and headed off for IL. We actually got on the road at 11 a.m., an hour earlier than my "deadline time" to be on the road of Noon.

Eric had a relatively uneventful drive to and from IN to get Patrick and Aurora, and the kids reported that things went "okay". They spent time with their maternal grandmother, aunt, uncle, and cousins, and I guess were relatively active this trip. Eric then had class that night when he got home, so he was quite tired out. I think we all are finally recovering from all of our "vacations!"
The kids started summer school on Wednesday, and that seems to be going ok. Aurora needs to get in 6 hours of driving time outside of class between now and Monday (I think I will leave that up to Eric, heehee), and Reimond will need to be sure he does his homework (he's taking English). We got report cards today and Aurora did wonderfully, while Reimond and Patrick did as expected (but not so hot). Eric is at work, and I need to get going on a sewing project in anticipation of the classes I am teaching these next 2 Fridays at the fabric store.
I had a number of things on my mind that I wanted to write about today, but I think I will stop here for now. Perhaps I can get them better organized in my head so I can write more tomorrow!

1 comment:

deb said...

It was really nice to you and Liisa and Rei and Kimmie. I enjoyed our chat. I am glad you got to get so much done. I would have loved to go to stitchville with you but working the weekend pretty much eliminated that so i never suggested it.