Saturday, March 20, 2010

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night!

It is a quiet night here.  Patrick is out with friends, Brie is home (and exhausted) after a day at drill, and Aurora is vegging on the couch (while Brie hangs out on the loveseat) watching a movie.  Rei is at a Winterguard competition for the evening.  One more weekend of competitions for him, and then they are done for the season.  Eric is at work.  Technically, it's his weekend off, but he took Friday and Saturday nights for a co-worker who needed Wednesday and Thursday off. 

Eric and I had a really nice day on Thursday.  We went out to lunch, then ran a few errands, and went to a movie.  We saw Shutter Island and it was really good! There were twists to it that were unexpected, but only added to how good the movie was.  My guess is it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but Eric and I really liked it.  We were talking to a neighbor about it having some twists, and he offered us the movie Law Abiding Citizen...  I didn't really care for it.  It was another movie with twists that were unexpected, but for me the violence in it was too much (I prefer subtler suspense).  The premise of the movie was thought provoking, but overall, I just didn't care for it.  I don't like movies with graphic personal violence (I can handle building blowing up, or cars, things that are not human or graphically human).  Just my opinion...  Now on the other hand, Eric and I got the first season of True Blood (a Vampire/shapeshifter serial made by Showtime(?)) and I cannot wait to see that...  I have heard great things about it and I have read all nine of the books (to date) that the show is based on.  But unfortunately I promised Eric I wouldn't watch it without him, so I am sitting here bored tonight with Law and Order on in the background.

I took the Aurora and Patrick to bowling this morning, and Patrick had an average of 211 for the 4 games; Aurora had a 174 average. This was lower than her "current" average, of 183, but she didn't seem too upset with about it--normally she gets really frustrated if she doesn't meet her personal expectations.  Then she came home and napped for the afternoon.  When I got home I started working on my new project, a quilt I am making for my niece for her graduation.  I got the central medallion done and while it is lovely to look at, the piecing isn't perfect, and I am a bit bummed by that.  It isn't worth taking it apart and re-doing it--I think it is essentially a problem I am still working on mastering--cutting things out so that they piece perfectly.  I do my best, and like I said, I am ok with it--the pictures I took of it on my phone look good.  But I wish it were perfect.  Some day I will master this!  I pieced it on the sewing machine, which I do enjoy doing (although that is point 2 in things going together well--handpiecing is more accurate for me...) Anyhow, the first section is done.  I will work on the next part tomorrow while Eric is sleeping.

Liisa called me and grossed me out: she just stopped her big dogs from playing tug-o'war with a dead (limp) squirrel in her back yard.  She doesn't know if the dog-babies killed it or found it dead, but they were "enjoying" it when she saw them.  Fortunately they listen to her really well and when she told them to drop it and come, they did.  She said she needs to find someone to pick up the "body" for her--like me she doesn't do dead animals very well.  She made me laugh though when she described the dogbabies standing on the landing of the stairs, staring out at the backyard at their "toy" as it laid there in plain sight...  Ick!

Anyhow, I think it's time to pour my last glass of wine, find my book, and make it an early night. I am really worn out and think a quiet night would be heavenly. 

Happy spring everyone!  We are supposed to get possible snow tonight after having a gorgeous day yesterday (in the low 70's)...

No comments: