Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Random thoughts and things...

Not much major is going on this week. I worked Monday and Tuesday, and while Monday was steadily busy, Tuesday dragged at points... I was quite pleased to get a phone call from my store manager, however, asking if I would be willing to take on a class for a single student who had been unable to take a class she had registered for and was otherwise going to cancel. My manager had been around on Saturday when I was teaching my class to a single student, sewing on a Vogue Options pattern, who kept raving about how much she had learned from me, what a good teacher I was, and how sorry she was we hadn't finished her project (a 15 -20 hour dress, even for me with experience) in a combined 6-hour class. Left me feeling quite proud of myself and I said I would be happy to do it at the customer's convenience.

One thing I have noticed though, is after being on my feet non-stop for 5 hours my feet really ache. I am wearing good shoes--Avias walking shoes--but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I am wondering if I need better arch support or something (although my day-to-day walking is generally barefoot or in flip-flops, which I have heard are not necessarily the best for feet). It just kinda sucks to have it hurt to walk after I get home. And I have found that it hurts to walk sometimes when I first get up in the morning as well. Once I am moving I forget about it being uncomfortable, but meh, I guess it's just me.

Eric seems to be enjoying his vacation. We took in the Harry Potter movie on Sunday night after we got home from the parade. It was very good, and I didn't think it was as darkly portrayed as some of the prior ones had been, albeit, it had it's moments. I really liked it, even with the minor changes from the book. Eric has gotten a few minor projects done around here he wanted to do, and is working towards catching up with his school work. I have been helping with the "research" portions of it. We really haven't done anything to speak of to celebrate our anniversary, but we are enjoying our time together and getting things done. Today is ONE year that Rei and I have lived here in Mascoutah! What a bittersweet day that was, saying goodbye to the family in MN and beginning my new life down here. No regrets, just a little homesickness now and again!

Brianne has called a few times now, and as of yesterday was beginning her training in AIT. Prior to that she was in "holding" as they awaited the arrival of newly graduated recruits from basic training to fill up the unit. She will be sending us an address soon so we can then write to her. She is allowed to have her phone, just not for specific duty times, so she will be staying in better contact with us. My son Tony is also in training right now, just outside of Des Moines, IA. He has this two week training, then another two week training the end of August. He seems to be enjoying the working part, but isn't as thrilled with the down time. Liisa is back to work and is grumbling about how much got added to her load being gone for a week--she thinks she needs another vacation! Aurora has a full week this week, between band camp and running (cross country). She seems tired but content. Patrick just got a letter from the school's ROTC program which he registered to join) giving him dates he needs to attend things; unfortunately those dates conflict with dates his mother has planned to take the kids, so I am not sure what will happen. He has enjoyed his summer but has made no strides towards even looking for a job... I talked to Reimond's new school counselor yesterday. Because he failed his summer school class, and based on his being short 3/4 of a credit, he will be considered a freshman again this year, however, if he makes up the credits he can "skip" being a sophomore and move into being a junior, provided he gets all the credits he needs to do so. I was informed he will be taking both freshman and sophomore English this year, which is going be a major challenge for him, and I told the counselor I would like to set up a meeting for as early in the school year as we can make it to review his IEP and what he needs for supports. He is already promising me that he will do better this year (but I have heard it before) and I hope and pray he's right. I also hope Patrick gives this year his all, because it isn't going to be easy for him either, being a "super senior". Registration is next week, Tuesday and Wednesday, and school then starts on the 20th as a half day.

I guess that is all I have on my mind for now, so I guess I will shut down the laptop and go get some laundry started. I like Wednesdays!

No comments: