Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wow, it's been a busy week!

I had Monday and Tuesday off, but spent it doing a variety of things.  Laundry was high on the list (which reminds me I still have more to do), and the kids had their various activities too.  I worked Wednesday and they were concerned we would be slow, so my relief was called off and I was on the cutting table by myself with only back up from people assigned to do other things.  Then of course, we got busy.  I ended up working later than I was supposed to (which balanced out my being late due to traffic and a freight train), then got home, rested for a bit, then headed out again with Eric.  We met up with some knitters I had met on Ravelry.com, a website, pattern/materials source and discussion forum that I actively participate in.  We met at Little Nashville Restaurant in Nashville IL, and it was very nice.  I liked being around people who spoke my language (heehee). Eric came with me because he knows I don't like driving to new places alone, I'm not necessarily comfortable meeting new people in an open setting, and it was a way to just be together.  I was very glad to have him there, and he seemed comfortable enough.  We got home around 9ish and I went to bed early.

This morning we were up with the kids, then enjoyed a fairly quiet morning, before we headed out to a meeting of a "networking" group (we were guests of our financial planner).  The goal with this luncheon/meet 'n greet was networking small and larger businesses for customer referals and personal references.  Eric actually made a few more contacts than I did, although I got directed to a couple of sources I hadn't yet explored.  It was a bit uncomfortable for me because I don't like being in those settings where I am expected to go up, introduce myself cold, and then chat.  I do better with small talk in controlled settings, where I have common interests with people or a defined role (e.g. teaching/leading groups etc).  Afterwards we drove to Collinsville where I explored a combination quilt and yarn shop to my heart's content (didn't buy anything because I didn't have my quilt pattern with me), but I will definitely go back.  We got home just after 3 and tried to cool down some (it is hot, humid, and miserable today--and the promised/predicted storms never came).  I hate it when my clothes stick to me and that was today in a nutshell. 

Tonight we had Aurora and Patrick at a band practice (Patrick is in band this term) and Rei hung out with some neighbor kids, so Eric and I played EQ for awhile.  Now though, it's getting late, and I am gonna finish this, shut down the computer, and maybe take a cool bath before heading to bed.  I work tomorrow early, and this is Eric's weekend to work as well, so I am gonna be on mom's taxi duty all weekend.  The band is performing at the football game Friday night, Aurora has a track meet Saturday, and she has travel league tryouts again on Sunday (second 5 games); the boys don't necessarily have plans, but I am sure I will find something to keep them busy.  The kids all serve on Sunday at Church, and it's probably a good thing--it's been awhile since we have been. 

Next week is Eric's short week but I am actually going to be working between 20 and 22 hours next week: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (mornings on the weekdays, afternoon/evening on Saturday).  Yuck!  Eric's mom is going to be here for a couple of days and I am so looking forward to that.  I am just sorry I will be working.  Fortunately, Eric will sleep a little on Friday morning, then he is off thru Sunday.  It's a good thing I didn't plan a trip to MN for the holiday weekend--I would have needed to cancel for sure!  The baby's surgery has been put off temporarily as Tony is going to be out of town quite a bit with his reserve training, but I AM looking to go to MN with whomever of the kids can go over their long weekend off early October (head up on the 8th after school, come home on the 12th).  My goal is to attend Jesse's annual lawn mower races in Princeton that Saturday, and perhaps meet up with friends on Friday and/or Sunday (maybe even go to the renaissance festival for it's final weekend).  I have asked Eric to look into whether or not he could trade a weekend with someone so he could go with (he works that Friday thru Sunday).  It's still a ways away so we will see.

Anyhow, it is getting late and I need to start readying for bed.  I will probably be on again this weekend~

No comments: