Saturday, August 15, 2009

Some random pictures from this summer


This was the end result of the first week of band camp. The high school band marched in 2 parades for Mascoutah days. If you look carefully you can see Aurora, far right, second from the end. This was her coming towards us....

And this was her going away from us. We all yelled out her name and embarassed her; one of her band mates said they never realized she could turn that color of red! I think she was secretly proud to have such a huge cheering section there on her behalf!

I was quite surprised by the number of tractors that were there on display proudly bearing the name Minneapolis-Moline. I think this one was from 1946, but there were others far older; I took pictures of all of them that I saw because they were a touch of home. I know where the factory is that used to make them, and while they are no longer made there, it made me proud to see them all.

Liisa and Jesse from our lunch date with them after we got Jesse from the airport. His buddy Jesse met us there at Union Station for lunch as well, then whisked them off for some siteseeing while Eric and I headed home on the train. It was such a fun day!







Eric and I, same date, facing the Marriott. He looks half dead cuz he was--had been on overnight shifts and didn't get a nap in. I was just happy.

This is how we have spend much of the summer, and I am sorry to say I haven't been to the pool since Liisa left. I had hoped to spend yesterday afternoon there while Eric slept, but no luck, had to run to work and take care of some things (signed up to teach classes over November and December). I am still trying to see if I can find someone to cover my hours for me on Tuesday (8/18) because we finally got Aurora's doctor's appointment scheduled and Eric has to be in class... Grrrrrr! We have already rescheduled it once because the first appointment would have meant pulling Aurora out of class the first day of school; not a great option, but I may need to reschedule again if I can't find a sub.

This cute little picture is one Brie posted on facebook of her and a new friend after they got their haircuts. Eric says she looks a lot like him when he was much younger. Since I didn't know him then, I can't offer an opinion, but I do see her looking a lot like her dad. She is so cute! She called today and things are going well for her. I am so glad she stays in touch!
Today was an interesting day. I went in to work for 2 hours to demonstrate Knitting and Crocheting for the classes I'll be teaching in the fall. I got myself situated and was chatting with various people when I got approached by another co-worker who was there to take a class; the teacher for the class didn't show up, so maybe I should do it, or so she said. I pointed her in the direction of our education coordinator, who then approached me as well and said "Help!" I ended up teaching a beginning sewing class, making personalized pillow cases. It went well, but of course I was there longer than I would have been just doing the demos. It made me feel good that I could help, and it was something I know fairly well. I just was sorry I couldn't just sit and knit/crochet and chat people up. I enjoy that too. I work tomorrow from 3-8 pm, then on Monday and Tuesday (unless I find a sub) from 8:30 am til 1:30 pm. I do enjoy my job and I am grateful to have something! In spite of what the news is reporting, the job market down here still sucks and I am frustrated.
Rei, Patrick, and Aurora are at a water park with a friend of theirs, so I have the house to myself. Eric is at work, and I am enjoying the peace and quiet. Speak of the devil, Eric is on the phone, so I guess I should go!

No comments: