Friday, January 29, 2010

Finally taking down the tree!

Christmas is finally leaving the Soulak-Maze household, as I have put the kids to work taking their personal ornaments off the tree.  What is left will be my things to sort through, wrap up, and put away.  It has been crazy making trying to get the kids in one place, at one time, to take care of their own things!  I have no idea what belongs to whom, and while I used to take care of the tree back home on my own (my ornaments, my treasures), down here the kids have their own to deal with and I don't want to ruin their system.  Thus, the tree has remained up (Aurora joked, "but it hasn't died yet!"  The punch line? It's artificial!).  I am just taking a short breather to deal with a migraine headache that I initially thought was sinus stuff (again/still--infection is gone but some of the cough and drainage stuff remain).  Then it will be my turn to wrap and put away for next year.  Thank goodness!  We were joking that Christmas left Farmville (a game on Facebook) before it left our house in Mascoutah!

Once my stuff is put away I can use my cutting table to start cutting out my garments.  I am so excited to start making things, as most of what I have to make is pretty year around stuff--some summery tops, and a sun dress, but otherwise mostly skirts, tops, slacks, and even jackets!  I love the fabrics I have so much and think this will be wonderful.  The best part about making things is as I lose weight (I have lost 9 lbs since late summer!) I can take things in and adjust them because I made them in the first place so I know where to adjust them.  I am not on any particular diet or anything, but since I started on the prozac again I feel better, so I am a bit more active, and I am not "feeding my depression" (also known as snacking rather than eating meals).  I also recognize when I am full better so that I can push my plate away.  I was telling Eric that I am not gonna go on any major "self improvement" stint just for my 30 year high school reunion this summer, but I do want to look my best, just as long as I am me.  As an aside to this, it has been surprising to me how many people who never really associated with me in high school (I ran with the "nerd/outcast group"--had been voted most unique female in my senior class) are now "friending" me on facebook...  One in particular I struggled with accepting because she had really been a tormentor at times (I was also a kid who was easily bullied--and the depression and being naturally reserved made me an easy target), but I decided 30 years is a long time to hold animosity, and I have been so over high school for so long...  So I accepted the request and am moving forward.

Brie is making a few strides towards schooling.  She has now decided to enroll in the University of Phoenix in the Criminal Justice program (online) and has spoken with an advisor about it. She has completed the application process and if all goes through will start mid-February.  I have concerns about whether or not she can keep up on the work, as it is harder in many regards to be an online student.  You need to really be devoted to doing the work, you need to take initiative to research things out on your own, and you really need to stay on top of deadlines.  None of these things are particularly her strong suit, but I am hoping for the best.  She continues to have lots of nausea and vomitting and that has limited some of her activities...

Reimond's teacher liason said he is doing better so far this term, and he seems proud of himself.  I hope the momentum continues.  Aurora has a cold starting and she is feeling pretty crummy.  She took her practice ACT on Thursday and thinks she did ok on it.  She was telling us her band trip for next year is being planned for Hawaii, and she is determined to go.  Eric and I joked we could go along as chaperones (I have never been and he would love to return there); of course that would mean paying the way for three of us and not just one...  Brie was saying she could go and chaperone, but as we pointed out, she will be a mother by then and cannot leave the baby home alone...  It's in the dreaming stage right now, but ya know, Eric and I haven't had a honeymoon of any sort as yet...

Liisa is really excited for her trip down here. I really hope the weather cooperates for it and she is able to come. Last year when she came down (a January trip) she crunched her car on a guardrail on the bridge over the river in St. Louis because of the ice and freezing rain.  She was terrified her whole rest of the drive here.  I am so hoping I can make a trip to MN in the not too distant future as well.  Once again my grandbabies are reminding me that I need to "Come-a-my-house Gram" and Justin wants me to pack two suitcases for the trip...  I am really hoping I can use the Southwestern Airlines rate of $49.00 one way to go see them before that special ends.  We are embarking on an extensive "spring cleaning" spree because with Liisa bringing the puppies, we need to have any marking temptations cleaned up and sprayed down with enzyme remover...  Plus, it needs to be done anyway.  The boy dogs continue to be naughty, although it looks like they are being better in the living room.  It's just the loft and the sewing room (and the kitchen, but that's linoleum) that is bearing the brunt of their antics.

Wow, I think my headache is finally starting to lessen a little bit.  I guess it's time for me to head down stairs, get my ham in the oven, and get MY decorations and ornaments put away.

No comments: