Thursday, January 21, 2010

Making do...

Making do is a good title for today's blog because there is a lot we have to "make do" with...  I just got off the phone with my county worker and there have been no child support payments made since Nov. 12th, and they have no current information on file.  They are starting the ball rolling on some "incentives" to pay, but it's feeling to me like "too little too late."  I was able to make my cell phone payment for this month, but we will have to see about next month's bill.  I am just so angry about it!  When I look back on all I have had to deal with over the years, living paycheck to paycheck and always behind, it hurts.  My personal credit is shot, and it's going to take a lot of time and hard work to fix it back up thanks to his lack of responsibility.  When you cannot count on something that is supposed to be there, what is one to do?

Work was crazy busy today.  I am not sure why, given it was pouring rain most of the day.  We have an ok sale going, but nothing super spectacular, and we are running with a bare-bones staff (again, "making do") to save on payroll.  I am working 2 four hour shifts this week, although today I was there almost an extra half hour because we were so busy.  I felt bad leaving because the fabrics needed to be put away, and there were people still waiting on being helped, but I had to go--they really don't want to approve anything over what has been budgeted for in payroll.  So I finished  up on my one customer, then punched out.  Next week I have a few more hours--I work 4 on Sunday, 5 on Wednesday, and 5 on Saturday.  Every little bit helps.  I was supposed to teach a class of one yesterday, but when I got there someone else was set up to teach the class and seeing as she had a prior relationship with the student, I came home.  That would have been a nice addition to my check though, so I was a bit sad.

Brianne still isn't working, and she has not registered yet for school. This is frustrating to Eric and I both because we have been harping on her to get going for over a month now, and classes for the spring semester started Tuesday (as in she will already be behind *if* she is able to get enrolled for this term).  She didn't even start filling out the financial aid package until this past weekend, and when I asked her about heading over to the school to follow up, she said she'd go today or maybe tomorrow.  She has nothing on the job front either at the moment, and it is getting old. She overdid things this past weekend, between going to drill all weekend, going to a concert out of town last Friday night, and hanging with "friend" who was here til Tuesday; now she is over-tired and complaining about her stomache feeling sick/hurting (morning sickness stuff).  Eric and I just don't know quite what to think. 

Patrick had to go to school today in full dress uniform for ROTC and he looked very nice.  He had some heartache this week in that a girl he really likes decided to "go with" someone else.  It was disappointing because she is a nice girl and he really liked her.  Aurora is kinda bumming because she hasn't been bowling as well as she was earlier in the season.  She is still a very good bowler, but she isn't being consistent.  She likes her new ball really well, she just needs to learn to throw it so that it enhances her style--at least that is what Eric says.  I know nothing about bowling one way or the other.  She has a home match today and would like me to come; I will probably head over there in a little bit.  I have to finish up on a couple of things here first.

Reimond had a disappointing end to his semester as well.  He just hasn't gotten it together to be successful at high school.  I still believe if they weren't such stringent graders he'd be doing so much better, but it's not something we have any control over and he just doesn't do his homework.  I have decided that I am not going to fight with him about it.  His grades are his grades, and if he has to keep repeating terms til he figures it out, so be it.  I don't have to like it, but it doesn't make sense to me to keep fighting about it either.  I have done all I can do to get him what he needs. If he chooses not to use it, I can't force him.  But I won't reward it either.

Liisa is looking at coming down to spend a few days the beginning of February and I am really looking forward to that.  I hope the weather cooperates for her.  So far it's been really mild here, but very wet--rained all day today, and we have had fog like you wouldn't believe the past few days.  Last night I got a bit nervous driving home from "Little Nashville", about 25 miles from here, where I had met up with some knitters I know for an evening.  You could barely see a car length ahead of yourself in places on the freeway, and yet there were cars and semis barrelling ahead like they were on a clear speedway.  I didn't like it at all.

Anyhow, that is the news for today.  Patrick needs a ride to work, so I might as well go to the bowling alley and watch Aurora for a bit after I drop him off.

No comments: