Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My first embroidery on a sweatshirt, for me!


It's a little blurry as I took it on my camera phone, but you can see that it turned out well--mostly anyhow.  I had an episode of "epic fail" as the kids would say: I was using a hanes sweatshirt I own (have matching sweatpants too) and was so pleased with how it was coming along; anyhow, the bobbin thread ran out, so I took the embroidery frame off, replaced the bobbin, and put the hoop back on, taking care (I thought) that nothing was in the way.  WRONG! the hood and back neck got UNDER the top wording, and when the design was done and I went to take it off the hoop, the hoop was SEWN IN to the sweatshirt!  I was heartsick!  After the kids and Eric had a good laugh at my dilemma (and I realized that it would be next to impossible to remove the stitching on the top lettering to remove the hood and NOT damage the layers of fabric) I decided to do the only thing possible: I took my scissors, cut off the hood, trimmed around the layers that had been sewn into the embroidery, then set about mending the "holes" that were left.  Fortunately I was able to make repairs to the sweatshirt, including sewing the hood back on, and while it isn't "perfect", it is wearable and not overwhelmingly noticeable.  I am quite pleased!  Besides, it's just for me, and it was a learning experience.  I realized it isn't as easy to sew on fleece as I thought it would be, (embroidery wise because it stretches a bit) so I need to read up on appropriate stabilizers for this, but overall I am quite happy with the results.  I just wish the photo were not quite so blurry!

I am pleased to announce I have a four page list of resource listings, in proper APA format, for my literature search part of my paper; I have approx. 35 research articles pulled to start reading and annotating.  I am so excited about this!  I have a working hypothesis in mind, and I have the rudimentary plan for how I would structure the accompanying "research proposal" to study it...  (Chuck, if you are reading this, I may need to bend your ear for some advice/guidance as I get further into the process!  I think I have your cell number)  Surprisingly, I am not feeling too overwhelmed by any of this right now--but we will see as I get further into the process.

Brie now has an appt. set for her first ob visit, for next Tuesday.  Poor kid is having a terrible time all of a sudden with nausea and vomitting...  She is not finding pregnancy to be as "fun" as she thought (I am saying this mostly tongue in cheek).  She also has not registered for school yet, much to Eric and my disappointment, and she heard from me yesterday again why this is so critical for her to do so; she says she isn't sure she really *wants* to go to school right now.  There is also nothing for her on the job front, and her energy level is pretty low right now for doing much of anything.  I will admit, I am concerned on so many levels.  I want her and the baby to have what they need, and I/we will do what we can to support them both, but she also needs to start looking at how she is going to take care of herself too.  We cannot do it for her indefinitely.

There is so much more I would like to write, but this isn't the place to put it.  Eric and I are doing fine, and are sharing our thoughts freely with each other.  It's nice to know that a year and change into our marriage and the honeymoon phase isn't over yet.  We are on the same page for the most part, and things are fine. The kids are doing well otherwise. Aurora is coming up to the end of her bowling season and she is generally quite pleased with her growth. Patrick passed all his classes this last semester (first time in ages!) and while the grades were less than spectacular, at least he passed.  Rei passed all his finals, but still failed his two english classes.  He passed everything else, with grades ranging from a B to D's.  Not sure what I am gonna do with that boy, but I know he is trying and I cannot ask for more than that. 

Anyhow, time to get going on the rest of my day--got some chores to finish, and sewing to start, not to mention research articles to read and ponder...  It's a normal Tuesday!

No comments: