Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Another snow day in the offing...

Well, the kids announced just after 10 pm that there is going to be no school again tomorrow (ok, today)... I am down one kid as Cliff's buddy went home, but still have the rest here. Eric wished me good luck with housebound kids and cold, dreary weather outside. Liisa and I just laughed as Aurora thanked her for bringing winter weather down with her, even if it is actually coming up from Texas and Oklahoma. We have had sleet and snow most of the evening and it looks like a winter wonderland outside. I did actually do a bit of driving today, just around town (went to the library and the grocery store) and took it slow and easy; the windshields were frozen solid and needed significant de-icing to be able to see out of. Brianne is planning to try and go to work in the morning (she does have an awful cold and had bad laryngitis today), so I hope she is careful driving. The precipitation is supposed to end early morning, and my guess is she'll take the van.

The cable guy did show up this afternoon and we now have cable television (expanded basic so that Aurora can have Animal Planet) on three televisions: the living room, the "loft", and in my room. After dinner I came upstairs to my room only to find a couple of kids camped out on my bed--everyone had claimed a tv to watch what they were excited to see, and as I said to Eric, three TVs and I couldn't watch what I wanted to watch! I did claim eminent domain over my room and tv, much to the dismay of the Animal Planet watchers, but I pointed out that we can negotiate on the other two tvs--that I deserve one for me, especially since I am not adverse to sharing most of the time.

I got the quilt top totally finished tonight and I am satisfied with it. I will get it pin-basted tomorrow, then try to take a couple of pictures before I start quilting on it. I decided to just go with the hand quilting thread I have here and not buy something new. I'm excited to get moving forward on it though. I can't remember what my deadline is to have it done by, but I think it's around Valentine's day. I should be ok...

Liisa and I are going to try and escape for awhile on Thursday before she leaves on friday morning. We will go to "The Bead Place", which also has wonderful knitting yarns as well as beading supplies of all kinds; then we are gonna go get our nails done at the salon next door to them, and maybe go out for lunch afterwards. It's been so nice having her here, and she has had quite the opportunity to get to know and spend time with all the kids over these few snow days!

Eric said that they continue to get rain in Arkansas where he is at, and it *may* freeze over tonight, but so far they are doing fine. He spent most of the day doing "combatives" today and said he felt pretty good despite all the physical exertion. It's starting to sink in that he isn't just working a few overnights and will have a day off soon and I am starting to miss him. Our 6 month anniversary is coming up in another week and in that time I have gotten used to having him around!

Sounds like the house is finally settling down. Liisa just shut down her laptop, and is headed to bed so I guess I will do the same. It is almost 1 am after all... Wish me luck with a houseful of kids again later today! I am so glad we have cable now, along with the gaming systems we have--plenty to keep bored kids occupied!

No comments: